Steve325

Temperature controller recommendations?

What are you guys using? I have the 2019 Louisiana Grill kamado. 

I don’t really need WiFi control, but I guess it would be a perk

i don’t know what these pictures are that are being added. This isn’t even my grill

20190922_165027.jpg

20190922_165012.jpg

I've been using the Rock's Stoker for years on a drum and about a year on my kamado.  It's manufacturer discontinued.  I've not used any others but I read about all of them.

If I had to buy one today, I'd buy the FireBoard.

I have a BBQube TempMaster Pro, seems to do the job, bit pricey, but it does have 4 probe ports (comes with a grate probe, long probe, & short probe) has bluetooth (isn't the best on range but is functional) and they sell a sous vide attachment (no idea how it works never done sous vide).  It isn't wifi controlled, you have to set it from the device, but you monitor it and setup your probe alarms and timers through the app.  Daz a contributor on here makes them I believe.  Super neat device wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Owner of a PartyQ said it worked fine for him... until he tried an overnight brisket and the batteries crapped out.  We rigged up a spare wall wart I had (I have collected about 1,300,650 of the things over the years, I counted them) and now he runs it via an extension cord and is a happy camper.  For those of you contemplating buying it, he had no gripes with how it worked, but he was super pissed about limited battery life.

Tom

PS:  I now have 1,300,649 wall warts left.  

Maybe he needs a better brand of battery or to check the "use by" date on the package.

I've done overnight brisket cooks with mine and the batteries had enough charge left to do shorter cooks afterwards.

On 10/9/2019 at 6:33 AM, Chasdev said:

Maybe he needs a better brand of battery or to check the "use by" date on the package.

I've done overnight brisket cooks with mine and the batteries had enough charge left to do shorter cooks afterwards.

Who knows.  Problem solved now though, no batteries needed.  Ever.

Tom

I am thinking of getting a Flame Boss (simply because I can't seem to find a CyberQ in Canada), but I had a question for those of you who have any temp controlling system...

Where do you clip the ambient probe?  To the dome thermometer or the grill grate or something else?  The FB 400 comes with only two probes (one meat and one ambient) and the ambient probe is an alligator clip, which would work great on the dome thermometer.

I have read here that some people have as much as a 50 degree temp difference from dome temp to grill temp, so my question is, if I was trying to do a cook at 250 or 275 and I had my ambient probe on the dome at 275, but the actual grill temp was 50 degrees hotter (325), I'm no longer going low and slow, so how do I reconcile it?

I am a Flame Boss 100 user. The basics of its use have not seemed to changed model to model.

I clip the ambient probe to the dome thermometer probe. That works out great.

Never had a a significant (5 deg. or so) temp. difference, that is if you're good enough to see 5 deg. on an analog display.

There are tons of past posts on grill temp, where the probe is place, why readings are different, using dome temp vs. temp on the grill. The discussions are lengthy and ongoing.

I found a setup that I liked, stuck with it,  read the many probe placement posts with interest, and have had great cooks and no complaints or confusion.

Key is the internal probe temperature of your cook.

M.

If you test different probe mount locations with no meat loaded (and as long as you avoid the gaps around the perimeter of the deflector) the difference will be small.

After loading room temp (or heaven forbid cold) meat, the cook grate temps will drop compared to the dome level reading.

I bought a Flame Boss after much research and it is superb. Rock solid control (unlike the iKamand!) and brilliant firmware (we are on V4) designed by someone who really understands and cares about his product. All the various FB series use the same f/w which is predictive and recognises lid opening. Control does not get much better than this:

117384171_Image3.thumb.jpg.7ba0ac054d59a7ca3202d40d03052740.jpg.3c1173c08d3fb3860ff5e05db29f2349.jpg.e6751c1c39f55784828cfdfed6afb727.jpg

The secret to this fine control is the use of a small 5.7cfm which provides just the right amount of 'puff' on demand to moderate the fire.