58limited

Today's Sourdough Baking

I haven't baked in months so I started feeding my neglected starters last week and got them going again. I chose the King Arthur starter for today's baking.

I made "Walter Sand's Basic White Bread" from King Arthur's website: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...e-bread-recipe

I adjusted the recipe and used 150 grams of my levain which I started last night (I also used regular yeast but didn't give it time to activate so that the sourdough could have a little time to work as well). The levain is a 50/50 water flour mix with 1 Tbsp sourdough starter added so I calculated that I added 75 grams each water and flour and adjusted the recipe accordingly to compensate. It turned out great!

Also in the picture is a Jalapeno Cheddar Bacon Rosemary Garlic Parmesan artisan dough. It also has onion in it. This is basically two different recipes that I came up with, combined, plus some onion. I made this once before and it was awesome so I hope this one turns out - it will make 2 boules. I will post pics when it is done tonight.

I am also starting an overnight natural levain pizza dough, I will cold age it for 2 days before making pizza, I'll post pics here later this week.

Click image for larger version  Name: 100_2900.JPG Views: 1 Size: 1.05 MB ID: 752124

Here are the pizza pics. The crust is not as sour as I had hoped, I might not have proofed long enough at warm temperature before putting the dough into the fridge. It was still good though. First up is a pepperoni pizza, I was hungry and put it on at 500* and it took about 5 minutes. The second one, a pepperoni and Italian sausage pizza, went on at 650* and took 3 minutes.

100_2908.thumb.JPG.d35f76c29135f5c28d70d3f762b008c9.JPG

100_2907.thumb.JPG.e3c673914609ac9438ecdf63281f57c9.JPG

100_2909.thumb.JPG.a8b0a3c78c209624f2c3c4325dfe11f4.JPG

100_2910.thumb.JPG.a6c33be2cc37bc9467f092374b699e5d.JPG

14 minutes ago, 58limited said:

Here are the pizza pics. The crust is not as sour as I had hoped, I might not have proofed long enough at warm temperature before putting the dough into the fridge. 

First up great looking pizzas. 

Secondly (recently read this) - add a small amount of sugar 2%—3% of the flour weight during your last starter feeding to get a more sour flavor. It fosters the development of bacteria that produce flavors that are more acidic. 

Haven't tried that yet but I will soon. 

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time.

I made this last April and it turned out nice and sour, the next two times doing it the same way it wasn't as sour. Reviewing my notes, I used a different starter last time, I'll try that one next time too and see if it makes a more sour pizza crust.

I find earlier steps have a greater impact on flavor. For example, using your starter 12 hr vs 24 hr after feeding.   

either way, looks like you had a ton of fun!