Misicm

Beef brisket in need for help now

Hey guys, I’ve put my brisket this morning to cook on 275. After 3.5 hours of cooking I’ve put the probe in and the internal temperature is 165 I’ve cooled my kamado and rise the grid, now the temp internally is 171 after 4h. Am I overshooting the temperature? What do you think I should do next, as I was reading to put in the foil and back on the bbq? 

Ride it out.    You can let the smoker cool a bit, but cooking at 275 isn't the end of the world.  I've made very good brisket at 275.

Every brisket is different.   I've had some that took twice as long as anticipated, and others that were cooked in 1/2 the time I expected.

Leave it on the smoker until it probes tender.   For me that's usually around  201-203F.      Good luck!

7 minutes ago, backyardgriller said:

Ride it out.    You can let the smoker cool a bit, but cooking at 275 isn't the end of the world.  I've made very good brisket at 275.

Every brisket is different.   I've had some that took twice as long as anticipated, and others that were cooked in 1/2 the time I expected.

Leave it on the smoker until it probes tender.   For me that's usually around  201-203F.      Good luck!

Amazing, I’m glad hear that. how about wrapping it in the foil and back on the grid? When would be the best time/temp to do so? 

Personally I never wrap unless I need to push through the stall.   It's personal preference though.  If you want to wrap, 171's not a bad time, it will help you push through the stall, then back on the grill.      If you want to reduce your grill temp, just close your vents almost completely for a bit, then when the temp drops open them slightly to stabilize where you want it. 

Yeah, that’s what I did, now it’s steady on 174 for last 40min (could be a stall?). I’m thinking to keep it like this a bit longer as I’m expecting to serve in in 3h. Then in 2h if I still need to push through the stall I’ll wrap it in?

thanks for the tips..

If you're looking to server in 3h, keep it wrapped and keep your grill around 275 or you'll never make it..  You're still low in the stall, but extra heat and the foil will help speed things up.   If it is by some chance ready early, wrap it real tight in 2x layers of foil, wrap a couple old towels around that.  (They will get stained), then drop it in a cooler until you are ready to slice and serve.   The towel and cooler combination will keep a whole brisket at serving temperature for a few hours easily. 

If you're getting desperate and can't delay the meal, bring the temp up to about 310 - 325.   Not my first choice for cooking brisket as I find the fat doesn't render quite the way I like, but it should still give you a nice tender, juicy cook

165 in 3.5 hours is fast.  I agree with BYG. Wrap it but keep the temp down. Don't push it and keep the temp below 275 and keep the lid closed.  You need to contain the moisture and give it time.   You can add some liquid inside the foil.

Nicely done.  I'll bet you had some happy guests. You didn't say, but if that was one of your first brisket cooks you should be very proud.  Smart move asking for help when you weren't sure.  Funny thing about low and slow cooks, you have time in the middle of the cook to go to the internet and get answers from all over the world.

Remember, when you slice it up, go across starting at the flat end and when you start to get into the point meat, rotate the brisket 90 degrees and slice across it again so that your knife is cutting across the point end's grain.

On 10/7/2019 at 12:28 PM, Family_cook said:

Nicely done.  I'll bet you had some happy guests. You didn't say, but if that was one of your first brisket cooks you should be very proud.  Smart move asking for help when you weren't sure.  Funny thing about low and slow cooks, you have time in the middle of the cook to go to the internet and get answers from all over the world.

Yes, this is my firs brisket, third long cook on kamado ever, and I’m really proud of it..definitely the help was needed at the time, who else to ask if not the forum.

thanks guys!! ;)