Brandon Store

Roasted my first chicken

That looks like a great first attempt at a roast chicken (I wish my first one, years ago, looked that good).  I agree with folks that a spatchcock bird is good, but one of my favorite roast chicken recipes is Jacques Pepin stuffing a mushroom mixture under the skin of the breast and legs before roasting.  It takes roast chicken to another level.  It's in his "Jacques Pepin's The Art of Cooking".

11 hours ago, daninpd said:

one of my favorite roast chicken recipes is Jacques Pepin stuffing a mushroom mixture under the skin of the breast and legs before roasting.  

Yeah I totally agree with daninpd,  putting seasoning under the skin on both the breast and the thighs and legs is truly a winner. I have used a variety of  pastes made with good olive oil and things like  Simon and Garfunkel herbs, orange zest and currants, sautéed mushrooms, and  cranberry sauce and bacon crumbles,  to mention a few. Putting your spices under the skin, keeps them from burning and allows them direct contact with the flesh. Works very well with spatchcocked birds. Happy Cooking!

On 10/11/2019 at 11:55 AM, John Setzler said:

Meh... spatchcocking is good if you are in a hurry for some reason.  I'm a whole bird fan... I have a turkey on this morning...

20191011_115010.jpg

Hey John.  It’s Thanksgiving this weekend in Canada.  I plan to do a Turkey on Monday.

Can you give me some particulars of what you did?  Temp, internal temp, did you tent it at all, seasoning...

I followed your SloRoller whole chicken and it is a huge hit with the family.  Want to make sure I don’t ruin out TG bird!!!!

20 hours ago, Struja said:

Hey John.  It’s Thanksgiving this weekend in Canada.  I plan to do a Turkey on Monday.

Can you give me some particulars of what you did?  Temp, internal temp, did you tent it at all, seasoning...

I followed your SloRoller whole chicken and it is a huge hit with the family.  Want to make sure I don’t ruin out TG bird!!!!

Exactly the same as the chicken.  I did brine this bird though because I was making a video to use a brine kit I had.

18 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

Whole bird - ++

Wife will be in Europe over Thanksgiving, been wanting to put a turkey on for a few years now and here's my chance...

Sorry, I ready your post to my wife and she said, and I quote, "get rid of the wife and do what you want to do". 

Yes, she can be a bitch. 

Anyway, I am responsible for the turkey and I have been lucky enough not to let my wife down in that regard (discounting the extended cook time one required due to poor quality propane). I have disappointed her in countless others, I assure you.

The couple roasted on my Akorn were great, rivaling my fried turkeys, which is no mean feat. 

Study up a little bit and I am certain you will prepare a killer bird! I have done both whole and spatchcock. Following MeatHead's (of amazingribs.com) direction, spatchcock is easily carved to perfection. 

I have previously used my version of his preparation for roasting. This year will be a Tony's centric brine like my fried turkeys. I am truly sold on MeatHead's "gravy" but certain it will be too salty if I brine. :sad:

Good Luck!