Sign in to follow this  
Larrsz

Hello and intro

Hi folks, 

New member here. I am a former Primo Oval XL owner (in an island, so it sold with my previous house last spring) and just spent the summer with a 6 burner gas grill and a Kettle grill, which was really an OK setup but I am really missing the Kamado. Joining here to get some advice on a new kamado and accessories, setup, etc.

Welcome, glad to have you with us  Larrsz. I have never cooked on one but I truly love the look of the Primo Oval XL, a few of our folks have them. Truly a versatile Kamado, really like all that space. if you looking for new and innovative gear KJ is probably the current mfg with the most new products as they came out with a ton of new stuff like their new fire box designs, and just a host gear to make kamado cooking easier. I cook on a large BGE and truly love it, but my thought is any kamado by the big three BGE, KJ, Primo is a good bet. Enjoy the process of finding new gear. Your ahead of the game because of your kamado experience, with that under your belt you can focus on what you really want for how you cook. Happy Cooking, and enjoy the forum conversation as well. 

Maybe someone can point me to the correct forum to dial in the right size for me. The kettle I used all summer for smoking is a 22.5" grate. I am trying to decide on what size kamado to go with. Seems that I see 18 inch, 21 inch, 24 inch and more out there and some are the grate size and some are the body size. Not to mention the Primo like I had in the past which is oval. I had the XL before and it was pretty big, probably not the size I need now with the kids gone from the house except for holidays.

4 minutes ago, Larrsz said:

Maybe someone can point me to the correct forum to dial in the right size for me. The kettle I used all summer for smoking is a 22.5" grate. I am trying to decide on what size kamado to go with. Seems that I see 18 inch, 21 inch, 24 inch and more out there and some are the grate size and some are the body size. Not to mention the Primo like I had in the past which is oval. I had the XL before and it was pretty big, probably not the size I need now with the kids gone from the house except for holidays.

If you look at the ads they usually give you the case size, but if you go the individual msgs web site they will give you individual specs for each grill. The grate size on my large BGE is 18 1/2 and that is the size of a standard kamado any thing above that is XL or Big. 

Welcome to the Guru Larrsz.  Not knowing how much stuff or what kind of stuff you like to fit on the grill I'm a little hesitant to offer advice.  If you routinely cook for more than 4 people I think you would enjoy a larger (>18") grate.  Another option is to get a system that lets you run two grates, but tending the food on the lower one might be clunky.  I find the 18" diameter grate in a KJ Classic meets my needs just fine cooking for 2-4 and will handle the occasional 20 lb Thanksgiving turkey just fine.  Best of luck!

Welcome! 

As soon as you determine what size Grill to get I'm certain you will be able to contribute mightily to this wonderful sight!. 

On 10/9/2019 at 6:31 PM, BobE said:

Welcome to the Guru Larrsz.  Not knowing how much stuff or what kind of stuff you like to fit on the grill I'm a little hesitant to offer advice.  If you routinely cook for more than 4 people I think you would enjoy a larger (>18") grate.  Another option is to get a system that lets you run two grates, but tending the food on the lower one might be clunky.  I find the 18" diameter grate in a KJ Classic meets my needs just fine cooking for 2-4 and will handle the occasional 20 lb Thanksgiving turkey just fine.  Best of luck!

Well, your needs and mine seem to be in the same ballpark. Right now, I am leaning toward either the normal "big" size 18 incher (Primo Kamado, Lg BGE, KJ Classic, or one of the many Chinese made alternatives) or maybe stepping up to one of  the several 20" Chinese made models which are usually called 24 in the marketing material. One thing for certain is that the XL BGE with a true 24" grate is probably overkill.

I tended to cook almost everything possible on the old Primo oval and loved the firebox divider for indirect. I can say the kettle has been fun this summer. I have done everything from burgers to fish to pizza and smoked Boston Butt, Turkey breast and even brisket with great results. 

Well, I broke down today and bought the Kamado Joe Classic II. Local dealer matched the Costco price. My wife and I spent the morning looking at the BGE LG and XL, Primo XL and LG and others including the KJ and Big Joe. She loved the hinge on the KJ so much that settled it for us. We agreed the XLs were just too big for us. I'll see you all over in the KJ forum...