Owly

Preserving steak medium rare room temp... 90 day experiment

I'm interested in your methods for kombucha as I have just started buying and drinking it. I'm still not clear on this particular experiment but maybe I can catch up as details emerge.

19 hours ago, John Setzler said:

THIS is where I was lost... i coudln't figure out why you would want to go for that length of time :)

I was lost too. I guess it all makes sense now. Now the question remains - when do you cast off and post a picture of your boat B)

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

I was lost too. I guess it all makes sense now. Now the question remains - when do you cast off and post a picture of your boat B)

I'm about 2-3 years out on the voyaging.   I'm working out what I need in a boat, which boils down to something I must either build.... and I really don't want to build another boat..... currently working on a small sailing trimaran built from a canoe and two Hobie 14 hulls for knocking about on local reservoirs for the next couple of years........ Hope to splash that one in the spring.

For real voyaging, I'm looking at older catamarans in the range of 30-38 feet, very wide beam, and the bridge deck & cabin set well aft with netting forward... for seaworthiness.   The closest commercially  made boat is the Fontaine Pajot Maldives 32.   The real fly in the ointment is the fact that I must have a junk rig, for numerous reasons, ease of  handling, low upkeep, low upkeep cost, minimal hardware, instant reefing, light loadings on virtually everything............. Everything centers on safety first, followed by cost.   Richard Woods designs a number of boats that would be well suited (with some conversion), and some of the Simpsons fill the bill.

Many of my culinary and brewing projects as well as shop projects, bear directly on this........ I have a very complete shop, and seem to spend my time either in the shop, or in the kitchen, or outdoors.   I walk a minimum of 2 miles a day on my own trail through the woods to the post office, hike far back in the mountains (solo usually), hunt, fish, design and build and invent constantly.   At the moment I have just finished rebuilding a New Process 435 transmission and installing it in a friend's '78 3/4 ton 4x4 ranch pickup, and spent the last couple of hours installing rivnuts ahead of the rear hatch on my 2010 Outback wagon, and making brackets to support a rack that can carry a real load......... I'll finish tomorrow.

Ordered a 10" ceramic Kamado from Titan  ($153 including shipping) a few hours ago.... it'll get here while I'm gone, as I'm taking a trip through Southern Idaho and Oregon, dipping into Nevada, to Adel, Lakeview, K-Falls, and Ashland, over to the coast, and up 101 to Newport, then to Portland to see my Mother......... I take the round about route, and camp in remote areas.   I'll be gone for 2 weeks. 

H.W.

6 minutes ago, Chris Topher said:

@Owly, you lead a much more interesting life than me. I spend most of it either on the hamster wheel or the rat maze

Chris:

I'm sorry to hear that, but do not under rate what you have.  There can be rewards (of the real kind.... not financial) in any kind of work and lifestyle.   It's really about the people around you.... do you like them?  do they like you?  Do you support and enhance each other's lives, or drag each other down?  Negativity around me was why I stepped out of what you describe many years ago, but I already knew how to get by and get along.

There is a  price, one most folks are not willing to pay.  Lack of security and stability, low income.   I've lived most all of my adult life without a "job", quit the last one in 1979. (age 24)  I have skills and knowledge that I've cultivated to fit into a very rural life, where folks know they can call me, and rely on me.... It's not especially lucrative, but it is rewarding.  I go where I want, when I want, but NOT when my friends and customers need me.   I often go many months with no income other than what I make day trading, it is far more lucrative than working, but it's not what I love doing!

H.W.

1 hour ago, Owly said:

Chris:

I'm sorry to hear that, but do not under rate what you have.  There can be rewards (of the real kind.... not financial) in any kind of work and lifestyle.   It's really about the people around you.... do you like them?  do they like you?  Do you support and enhance each other's lives, or drag each other down?  Negativity around me was why I stepped out of what you describe many years ago, but I already knew how to get by and get along.

There is a  price, one most folks are not willing to pay.  Lack of security and stability, low income.   I've lived most all of my adult life without a "job", quit the last one in 1979. (age 24)  I have skills and knowledge that I've cultivated to fit into a very rural life, where folks know they can call me, and rely on me.... It's not especially lucrative, but it is rewarding.  I go where I want, when I want, but NOT when my friends and customers need me.   I often go many months with no income other than what I make day trading, it is far more lucrative than working, but it's not what I love doing!

H.W.

Heavy and BadAss, H. W.! 

Looks like you got it licked! 

The best of Luck to you on your Voyage! And of course getting to the point of stepping off, also!