Jump to content

New 12 x 16 Lloyd Sicilian Pan


ckreef
 Share

Recommended Posts

Here is my new 12 x 16 Sicilian pan from Lloyd Pans. Including a really nice aluminum stacking cover. I also ordered a stacking cover for my 10 x 14 Detroit pan (sitting on top). 

 

I consider Lloyd Pans the very best pans for deep dish and pan pizzas. 

 

Sicilian16x12.thumb.jpg.682b682a658d42d85a5117ec67364da6.jpg

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i plan on cooking a deep dish pizza on my kamado tonight and came across your post.  im trying to decide if i want to put the pan on a preheated pizza stone in the grill or just put it on the grill grate.  i do thin crust pizza all the time on the grill but the deep dish will be a first.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, baconator said:

i plan on cooking a deep dish pizza on my kamado tonight and came across your post.  im trying to decide if i want to put the pan on a preheated pizza stone in the grill or just put it on the grill grate.  i do thin crust pizza all the time on the grill but the deep dish will be a first.  

 

1 hour ago, LargeRedJoe said:

May be too late but I’d recommend using a preheated pizza stone or deflector. And if possible elevate the pan above the stone with another grate or small balled up pieces of foil to create an air gap. 

 

With a pan like this I would do it indirect (low deflector plate of some type) then high in the dome direct on the upper grate. 

 

I actually bought this pan to use in my Wood Fired Oven. Lately I only use the Wood Fired Oven when cooking pizza.  Currently have a naturally levened sourdough fermenting in the fridge. Going to try this pan out either tomorrow or Sunday. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ok thanks for the replies.  you guys are right on getting the pan high and have a deflecter lower.  i had the pan directly on the stone and got a burned crust.  thats good i know for next time .  i will master this deep dish thing .  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i loaded the pizza at 500F.   i was using this deep dish pizza dough recipe below.  by the time all the toppings were perfectly done the crust was scorched.   i thought i was going to have trouble wiht the dough not crusting up since it was in the pan but the opposite happened. the stone transferred way too much heat into that pan .   

 

THE ‘QUOD STYLE DOUGH All Purpose Flour 100.0 % 317 g FLOUR: ★ 2 & ½ cups Water (95°F) 54 % 171 g WATER ★ ¾ cup (6 oz) Vegetable/Corn Oil 4.25 % 13.5 g OIL: ★ 1 TBSP IDY (Instant Yeast) 2.15 % 7 g YEAST: ★ 1 PACKET (2 ¼ tsp) Fine Sea Salt 0.9 % 2.8 g SALT: ★ ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper 0.9 % 2.8 g PEPPER: ★ ½ teaspoon Sugar 0.65 % 2.0 g SUGAR: ★ ½ teaspoon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure what type of pan you used but Lloyd Pans can use less heat on the bottom and still brown the crust. That's why up high in the dome works better. 

 

Every pizza you cook on a grill is a balance between the proper heat for the bottom compared to the proper heat for the top. That's true no matter what pan (or no pan) and no matter what grate/stone configuration you have, no matter what dough recipe you follow. The trick is to figure out the correct configuration for the type of pizza your cooking. 

 

Sounds elementary but most people generally overlook this basic idea.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, baconator said:

i loaded the pizza at 500F.   i was using this deep dish pizza dough recipe below.  by the time all the toppings were perfectly done the crust was scorched.   i thought i was going to have trouble wiht the dough not crusting up since it was in the pan but the opposite happened. the stone transferred way too much heat into that pan .   

 

THE ‘QUOD STYLE DOUGH All Purpose Flour 100.0 % 317 g FLOUR: ★ 2 & ½ cups Water (95°F) 54 % 171 g WATER ★ ¾ cup (6 oz) Vegetable/Corn Oil 4.25 % 13.5 g OIL: ★ 1 TBSP IDY (Instant Yeast) 2.15 % 7 g YEAST: ★ 1 PACKET (2 ¼ tsp) Fine Sea Salt 0.9 % 2.8 g SALT: ★ ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper 0.9 % 2.8 g PEPPER: ★ ½ teaspoon Sugar 0.65 % 2.0 g SUGAR: ★ ½ teaspoon

 

My only thoughts on that recipe is that's a huge amount of oil. Way huge. I would find a different recipe. Also 54% water is a very dry dough except for the huge amount of oil. Most oils in that concentration are going to start burning at 500*. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:


really looking forward to this sd pizza, sounds tasty already 

 

Should be an interesting one. Not using any extra instant yeast. I'm following the exact procedure as outlined in the Perfect Pan Pizza book. The proof will be in the crumb. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, ckreef said:

 

Should be an interesting one. Not using any extra instant yeast. I'm following the exact procedure as outlined in the Perfect Pan Pizza book. The proof will be in the crumb. 

 

 


I’m sure it’s going to be great, coking in the WFO adds a depth of flavor (that I may or may not only imagine in my head) but I think you might experience the same lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, freddyjbbq said:


I’m sure it’s going to be great, coking in the WFO adds a depth of flavor (that I may or may not only imagine in my head) but I think you might experience the same lol

 

I've never been successful doing 100% naturally levened pizza so I've resorted to adding some IDY in the past which works but I always thought it was slightly cheating. 

 

His method of dough manipulate for the naturally levened dough makes sense in my mind so we shall see. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...