Frozen Sous Vide protocol

Owly

I did up a bunch of 1/3 pound ground beef patties the other day in the sous vide.    I froze them for later use.   130F for about 2 hours each in an individual zip lock sandwich bag.

My normal method is to simply thaw and warm in hot tap water, then throw them on the grill, or in a skillet with  hot bacon grease... smoking hot!!  About 30 seconds to the side.

I'd like to experiment with putting them in the kamodo right out of the freezer........ the question is how long and how hot.  I'd like to keep the medium rare all the way through character, and I'm thinking that very hot, very brief, followed by a "rest" to allow the heat to penetrate through.

I have an aversion to pioneering when someone else has already "been there", so I'd like to hear what others have done and how it has worked out.

H.W.

I haven't been there, so to speak. But I have purchased Frozen patties designed to be cooked from Frozen on the grill. They worked great! I ran them through a bath and threw them on the grill with a dusting of Tony's. The bath was something on the order of Dale's and balsamic vinaigrette or just any Italian salad dressing. Works wonderfully!

I would imagine your homemade pre-cooked would not take as long on the grill. These patties were Raw. Sorry I don't have a recollect as the time. It wouldn't apply because they were not precooked. I do believe they sell pre-cooked hamburger patties, though. You could simply Google them and study their instructions.

Testing with steak and chicken both showed a significant advantage in texture for very slow thawing (overnight in fridge) vs thawing in hot water, microwave, oven, and even counter top at room temp. Basically there was a strong correlation to slower is better. 

1 hour ago, m-fine said:

Testing with steak and chicken both showed a significant advantage in texture for very slow thawing (overnight in fridge) vs thawing in hot water, microwave, oven, and even counter top at room temp. Basically there was a strong correlation to slower is better. 

Were these pre-cooked sous vide?

H.W.

The biggest problem I see with your idea is the time it would take to actually heat the insides of the patties would make the sear very crisp. Fully frozen patties, if they are not fairly thin, will take a while to thaw and heat up the inside. I do burgers Sous Vide and then seared quite often but I have never tried doing them frozen. Good luck and tell us how they turned out.

It seems to me that a 2 zone grill setup would be the best method. Heat the frozen patties on the low temp side until they thaw enough to sear. Move them over to the high temp side and watch the internal temp. Move them back to the low side when the sear is done, heat more on the low side if necessary to desired eating temp. Rest.