Larrsz

New Classic II, what's my first upgrades?

So many awesome things out there and so many variables. Buy ‘em all. :good: 

Seriously though...take a look at what type of cooking you’ll be doing most or want to do most and get something to make your life easier or funner. If you give give us examples of what you plan on doing like Ribs, Briskets, Bugers, Pizzas..etc...etc. Once you give us those details we’ll spend your money so fast you won’t believe it. Lol. 

A fast thermometer is a is a must if you don’t have one. I like the Thermoworks thermopop or thermapen Mk4’s. 

I have the thermometers including an instant resd and weber igrill III. I will be cooking everything, probably not much pizza. I especially expect to do my turkey on it this year. 

Other than a remote thermometer the next thing I would get is “GrillGrates” 

Awesome for burgies, steaks and fish.

Well, it was delivered and the first thing I ordered was a cover. After that, I am looking at the iKamander. 

1. Soapstone is better for searing than cast iron IMHO

2. Don't bother with the cast iron grates as they are high maintenance

3. Joetisserie - we use it a lot and don't be afraid to try using it with the deflectors in place; spatchcock chicken also works well on it

4. iKammander or similar is great. I also use it when making pizza - leave the temp probe outside and the fan runs continuously which brings the KJ up to really high temps relatively quickly!

5. Grill Grates - also you can invert them for searing steaks/burgers if you want drippings on the fire

+1 on the cover.

You've already got most of the stuff new owners would want/need, so you're asking about KJ-specific accessories. 

Given you have a Primo, get the accessories that you use on it, so you can do the same sorts of cooks on the KJ. My first orders were an ash basket and expansion rack, both used when making pizza. The ash basket gives superior air flow and the expansion rack gets the pizza stone nice and high in the dome, for top browning. I also have need for the capacity, although I will never do another 45 lb. brisket cook, intentionally. And I've found the ash basket's airflow is a disadvantage in low-n-slow cooks. 

Have fun,

Frank

Thanks for the info. I am really thing about the basket. And, my wife wants the iKamander as much as I do. Looks like the soapstone as well as the extension grates are must have as well. I do have one question: is there a firebox divider from KJ for the original setup and is it worth it. On the Primo it was invaluable.

By the way, I no longer have the Primo. I sold my previous house and the new owner wanted that, why I went to KJ.

On 10/12/2019 at 8:36 PM, Larrsz said:

Bought my classic II today, to be delivered tomorrow. What are my first purchases? Would love suggestions.

The charcoal basket is my #1 recommendation for an add-on.  My other #1 recommendation is a temperature control system.  The only other tool I think is a MUST is a good instant read digital thermometer.

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

The charcoal basket is my #1 recommendation for an add-on.  My other #1 recommendation is a temperature control system.  The only other tool I think is a MUST is a good instant read digital thermometer.

I saw the kick ash basket and a stainless divider at my local dealer. Is the divider of any use with the basket? Used a divider all the time with the primo for indirect.

6 minutes ago, Larrsz said:

I saw the kick ash basket and a stainless divider at my local dealer. Is the divider of any use with the basket? Used a divider all the time with the primo for indirect.

I like the divider.  The KJ version comes with a divider.  I use it quite frequently.

8 hours ago, John Setzler said:

John,

is the temperature controller important for KJ Classic 2? I have been eyeing this as my first kamado. I was under the impression that this is better than the lower priced competition in terms of holding low temp.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, mbenam said:

John,

is the temperature controller important for KJ Classic 2? I have been eyeing this as my first kamado. I was under the impression that this is better than the lower priced competition in terms of holding low temp.

Thanks.

see my tag line blow in red.