Larrsz

New Classic II, what's my first upgrades?

I use the Flame Boss and it is quite superb. It has regular automatic firmware updates, a great app and has never let me down. It was developed and brought to market by Roger Collins in 2013 who, along with his brother, still owns the company. They seem to have a passion for their product and customer support is second to none. Reviews seem to agree: https://www.flameboss.com/testimonials/

Accuracy is unbeatable:

Blue = target pit temp

Red = actual pit temp

Green = fan speed

Yellow = meat temp

The dip in pit temp was when I loaded the meat.

Image 3.jpg

As I see it the problem with the iKamand is they went for a 30cfm fan which is probably way too powerful for any Kamado, hence the poor reviews and complaints of temperature fluctuations. The Flame Boss fan is rated at 5.7cfm and Roger Collins says they have no intention of offering a bigger one as delicacy and fine control is the prime requirement.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:07 AM, Heuer said:

I use the Flame Boss and it is quite superb. It has regular automatic firmware updates, a great app and has never let me down. It was developed and brought to market by Roger Collins in 2013 who, along with his brother, still owns the company. They seem to have a passion for their product and customer support is second to none. Reviews seem to agree: https://www.flameboss.com/testimonials/

Accuracy is unbeatable: (Edit: Snipped out graph)

As I see it the problem with the iKamand is they went for a 30cfm fan which is probably way too powerful for any Kamado, hence the poor reviews and complaints of temperature fluctuations. The Flame Boss fan is rated at 5.7cfm and Roger Collins says they have no intention of offering a bigger one as delicacy and fine control is the prime requirement.

Thanks for this. I am still doing research, but this sounds interesting.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:29 PM, Chris Topher said:

I would suggest that you get cooking and let your cooks define your needs and buy what you find you need

+1 on this.

I am still relatively new to Kamado cooking and I am slowly adding.  I have a KJC III so I love the charcoal basket, and I love the SloRoller.

I would say my essentials...

1.  Instant read thermometer

2.  Pizza Stone

3.  Grill expander

4.  Meater+ Wi-Fi, internal and ambient probe

On Deck

1.  Temperature control system

$0.02 worth since you owned a primo i assume you know about fire management i would suggest you do a large chicken or a small turkey to test how the Joe cooks  no surprises on turkey day. I've put together a christmas list for the boss  Ash basket ,soapstone 1/2 moon  and asa outside chance joetesery. I use a heatermeter i built to control the grill after a few struggles i put it away the blower part  till i learned how to control the fire without it .Did a 8 hour butt last thursday wow it worked great for that .Good luck with the Joe.    

I got pretty darn good on the Primo- I had the oval XL. I think I will miss having the large size of the XL and the oval shape made it seem like more real estate. Everything else, I like the KJ more: top cap system, ash removal, etc. 

I did buy the KJ basket with divider and will likely buy the extender rack this week. Is there anything special about the KJ Pizza stone? I can get a 14" Pizza stone that is 3/4 in thick for $25 at BB&B, or a metal Pizza pan/stone replacement on Amazon for $20.

4 minutes ago, Larrsz said:

I got pretty darn good on the Primo- I had the oval XL. I think I will miss having the large size of the XL and the oval shape made it seem like more real estate. Everything else, I like the KJ more: top cap system, ash removal, etc. 

I did buy the KJ basket with divider and will likely buy the extender rack this week. Is there anything special about the KJ Pizza stone? I can get a 14" Pizza stone that is 3/4 in thick for $25 at BB&B, or a metal Pizza pan/stone replacement on Amazon for $20.

I did not buy the KJ pizza stone.  I got one from Pizzacraft.  A 16.5” round.

From what I recall the one thing to look for is the material it is made from because I think cordierite was a better material to protect against cracking from heat.

1 hour ago, Larrsz said:

I really like my new KJ charcoal baskets. I am pretty sure an iKamand is my Christmas present this year.

Any reason why you decided on the iKamand?  I am also looking for a temperature controller and evaluating about 4 brands, the iKamand being one of them but I am not sure which one is best.

Just that I read it was developed by a team from Harvard who developed the SloRoller. I posted a link in a new post here a while ago. Excellent article.

I am with you though, I may end up with something different when the time comes. 

3 hours ago, Larrsz said:

Just that I read it was developed by a team from Harvard who developed the SloRoller. I posted a link in a new post here a while ago. Excellent article.

I am with you though, I may end up with something different when the time comes. 

There is a very super informative thread going on right now on the subject.