Owly

Meal in a Muffin

I once had a wonderful recipe for bran muffins.   light and airy, a delight to eat warm with butter, and drizzled with honey......... I probably still have it somewhere ;-)

Unfortunately it used allbran or bran flakes, or some such, and I rebel at buying cereals......... I just won't do it.  Over priced and full of garbage additives for the most part.

So I struck out on my own to create my own personal bran muffin using ordinary oat bran.   It went through many iterations, and ultimately ended up with a "meal in a muffin".   I don't measure anything....  I learned using the TLAR method (That Looks About Right).    The foundation is a batter about like pancake batter made with lots of oat bran, a some sugar and salt, and plenty of soda, and in some cases I add other spices............ but that is just the foundation. 

I break up walnuts, add buckwheat groats (seeds), pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, a chopped apple, crasins and whatever else strikes my fancy.   The quantity of this mixture of things without the batter is about enough to fill the cups in a muffin tin, and project up a bit.   

When mixed together, the chunky things dominate.....  Less batter than solids, and when you put it in a prepared muffin tin, it looks like walnuts, crasins, apples, etc...that have been dipped in batter as if you were going to deep fry.

During cooking, the batter rises up through this mass of solids binding it all together with a light airy muffin, supported by the solids.  When it goes into the oven it looks like you will just end up with a bunch of baked walnuts, apples, crasins, etc with a little cooked batter on the surface, but that's not what happens at all.

10 years ago last spring, my best friend of 30 years was killed in a tragic shop accident.   I set my life on hold for a year to lend assistance and moral support to his widow, who now had to run their ranch (which she was very well qualified to do).    I brought a tray of these muffins about every other day, and the hired girl virtually lived on them.....they were a staple we all enjoyed, and healthy.   It was during this period that I perfected my "recipe"........... though I never  put it to paper.

This evening I ran off a batch from memory.... I haven't make them for a number of years, but I'm headed out on a road trip, and will be camping in my car along the way.    These will be my staple.   I varied the "recipe" a bit putting cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in, and threw a bunch of chopped crystal ginger in.   I  began with two eggs, and some home made kefir, and olive oil, added flour sugar, salt and soda until I was happy with what I had, then began with the nuts, apple, crasins, etc..... My eye knew just how much to make, even though I didn't have a recipe, and hadn't made it for about 5 years.   The crystal ginger is a dynamite addition.............. A dozen muffins has to last me 3 days on the road...... it isn't going to be easy   ;-)

******  The original recipe I mentioned at the top came from a 90 year old lady who I looked after for 5 years.   A single man across the street in a tiny rural town of about 8 people at the time.... she needed someone, and it was my lot..........  When the call comes, you answer it.  It's called "humanity".   We believe in karma here.............but we don't use that term.   Instead we say "what goes around comes around".  People have stepped up and helped me numerous times, I couldn't do less, and it was very rewarding in the spiritual sense.   She lived to 99 years and 3 months before the doctors killed her..... Imagine giving a 99 year old a double mastectomy, chemo, and radiation!!!.  She moved away at 95 to live in a rent subsidized apartment near family......... never a day in nursing home or assisted living.   A tough and determined old lady.  Hip replacement at 92!!!   She refused the wheel chair and walked the full length of the hospital on day 4, and with the help of a milk crate and a shove to her butt from me, climbed into my van to go home!!!  The nurses were fit to be tied, but NOBODY stood up to Christine!!  Probably the most rewarding relationship in my life in many ways and we were 40 years apart!

H.W.

Wonderful story, I am with you on "murder by chemo" these days.

My mom and and most recently my best friend got cured of living by chemo and radiation.

As a bonus they both suffered like dogs before thankfully expiring.

Fortunately these days chemo has evolved a great deal, and I currently have many friends who are "cancer survivors", but the grotesque system of profiteering and outright greed have left many of these treatments out of reach to those of us with lower income levels.  Health care in the US is outrageous to say the least....... I'm currently dealing with dental, and have reached the point where I will go to Mexico NOT because I can't pay the price  here, but to "starve" the US industry into submission.  If my fellow Americans think they can extort money from me in outrageous amounts, they do not deserve my support....... period!!  I'll take my business elsewhere........ I encourage others to boycott this abusive system too.

H.W.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:25 AM, Chasdev said:

Wonderful story, I am with you on "murder by chemo" these days.

My mom and and most recently my best friend got cured of living by chemo and radiation.

As a bonus they both suffered like dogs before thankfully expiring.

I'm currently experimenting with edible rice paper and other things in an attempt to develop "edible cupcake papers" to better contain my muffins.......... suggestions welcome...

H.W.