Sign in to follow this  
OUV11112

First charcoal BBQ.

I had been thinking of getting a charcoal BBQ for quite some time but was put off by the wait time for the coals to be ready and the waste of charcoal in a kettle style BBQ. I came across a clearance at Walmart for an Akorn Kamado for $339.00 so I picked one up. Easy to light and when shut down saves the charcoal.  My daughter and I put it together on Friday. All was going well until we unpacked one of the shelves. It was bashed in and the ash pan had a ding in it.  All the packaging was intact and it almost appears as it it was packed from the factory this way. 

I contacted Char- Griller customer service via email and new parts were shipped the next day. 

Thanks for all the invaluable information that this site has provided. 

First cook was just some hamburgers and corn and they turned out great. 

Akorn shelf.jpg

Akorn ash pan.jpg

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Akorn.  Sorry to read that it arrived with damage.  It's great that they are standing by their product and getting you the replacement parts.  A lot of members use the Akorn grills to turn out some outstanding looking cooks, hope you get the same results.

13 hours ago, daninpd said:

Welcome to the group.  Just a little warning, though.  Many of us started with a Akorn and became addicted.

So true! 

The good news is you will never need an intervention!

I was hesitant converting from gas, as well. Akorns light quickly so that wasn't an issue. You may want to see about sealing it better, if it needs it. Most can benefit from tightening the latches and sealing the lower vent. If yours is shutting down promptly you may not need to. There's a sticky on the Akorn thread of this site. The Akorn gaskets are solid. 

Rust is an issue. If it sees any rain you may want to remove the ash pan so the vessel holds no water and turn it upside down. 

Sounds like great customer service from Chargriller! 

Welcome to kamado guru and having a lot of fun grilling, smoking, roasting, baking, etc. with your new steel buddy!

Welcome. I agree with Inarngr. You will need to tighten the latch and caulk the lower vent. If you can keep it dry it will last for years to come. Mine rusted out. But it is a really good kamado for a good price.

Thanks for the kind welcome messages.

New parts have already arrived.

I used Visions 100% Mesquite Lump Charcoal to grill a few meals on the weekend. It lights fast and gets hot really quick but the smoke is intense and makes the food too smokey tasting for our liking. Picked up some Maple Leaf Lump Charcoal. It takes longer than the Visions to get as hot but  because of this it is easier to control the temperature. Grilled some 2" bone in pork chops yesterday.  They came out perfect with a natural BBQ flavor.  I am going to save the Visions for low and slow ribs , etc.

Hey, welcome aboard from another Akorn Nut down the road in Cambridge.   I am 7 years into my Akorn.  Just buy good quality charcoal and never look back.  I get a few bags of Fogo Super Premium a year from Dickson BBQ on Bloor West and Royal York.  Always remember to not stress, and your “mistakes” will be better than most grillers successes.  And you can always invite me to visit for dinner.