Sign in to follow this  
John Setzler

300°F - The New Low and Slow

I have been cooking boston butts at 300°F for quite some time now.  It's so much easier to put it on in the morning and have it ready for dinner.  This particular 9.2 pounder got done on the grill in 5 hrs and 45 minutes, which is much faster than I expected.  I was expecting around 8 hours... early finish is always good though :)

20191016_075036.jpg

20191016_113201.jpg

20191016_155834.jpg

20191016_155843.jpg

20191016_Graph2.jpg

Looks good! I’ve always done butts around 300, the first time unintentionally, but when it was done in 5-6 hours when all I read said 8-10 I was happy. Always moist and tender too. Haven’t done one any other way. 

Question, do you have a drip pan under it to catch the drippings? Most times I do not. I let it go to around 150-165 then put the butt in a foil pan and end up with a ton of juice/fat/goodness, then I wrap the butt and let it sit while separating the fat. Is this your method or something different?

Since I joined this forum several months ago my temps have risen.  15 years ago all my long cooks were at 200 deg.  Now I am doing long cooks at 275+ and rising.  Keep an open mind and learn new tricks from smart folks challenging the accepted S.O.P..

What temp controller are you using John? It seems to be very erratic in holding the target temperature. I am used to seeing practically no variance with my controller regardless of set temp:

117384171_Image3.thumb.jpg.7ba0ac054d59a7ca3202d40d03052740.jpg