daninpd

New Oleans Baked Beans with Pulled Pork

When I was at LSU I discovered a bar in downtown Baton Rouge called Chris's Bar and Grill.  Started by Mr and Mrs Chris, when I was there Mr Chris had passed on and Mrs Chris was running the whole thing from the kitchen.  Wednesday was Red Beans and Rice day for lunch and when I discovered that, I became a regular.  And I arranged my schedule so I didn't have any Weds afternoon classes.  Lunch was a schooner of beer, a dozen raw oysters and red beans and rice;  and a nap.  After I learned that "favored" regulars got special treatment, I put my best "clean-cut college boy" persona on display (cussing in the bar would get you kicked out-and lose "favored" status).   If you were a regular you got Mrs Chris's corn bread with your red beans and rice.  The secret of favored status was that Mrs Chris split your con bread in half, toasted it and served half under the beans and half on top, skip the rice.  Heaven.  

Since I still had some leftover pulled pork from Saturday's cook I took my favorite red beans and rice recipe that calls for 1lb of salt pork and substituted 3/4 lb of pulled pork plus a ham hock.  Cooked for 4-1/2 hours at 275 on the Joe and served with the last 2 pieces of cornbread from Saturday.  I think Mrs Chris would be proud.

DMP_2164.JPG

DMP_2165.JPG

DMP_2167.JPG

DMP_2169.JPG

DMP_2171.JPG

43 minutes ago, Rob_grill_apprentice said:

Looks good and delicious.

It's old fashioned delicious.  Smothering corn bread with things like creamy red beans or blackeyed peas is dessert for some people.

Funny how something as simple as food can bring back memories from our youth. I guess food has more than just nutritional  power. Thanks for you story. Your meal also looks scrumptious.

Great story and wonderful cook. When I went to college there was a little Mom and Pop bar on 7th St. downtown and just a couple of miles from school in the neighborhood most students lived in. Every Mon, Wed, and Friday, Mom put out hot dogs and home made chili. Dinner was a couple or three dogs smothered in home made chili and a schooner of beer. Frequently she made homemade cornbread as well. By the way, dogs were10 cents a piece and the chili was free. Needless to say every student in the area knew and frequented the place. I am sure most of us ate regularly because of it. 

Looks really good! Monday’s was red beans day at our house every week, except when Mama switched to big Lima’s. Always had corn bread either in the cast iron skillet or the corn bread sticks cast iron form. I can still taste them with melted butter running down the sides! :)