ckreef

Brunswick Pot Pie

Brunswick Pot Pie

Brunswick Stew with a Cornbread top cooked pot pie fashion. 

This was a three part cook. Part 1 happened about 6 weeks ago which resulted in chunks of kamado pulled port leftover in the freezer. 

Part 2 happened on Sunday. Brunswick Stew made with the leftover pulled pork and slow cooked in a open top Dutch oven for about 8 hours in my 19" Komodo Kamado with a few Hickory chunks. 

bsingr.thumb.jpg.3b6f0fb9c827b414fc41b145e898479d.jpg

bsig.thumb.jpg.f288217ef0c2dab48a49bfb3bb383b36.jpg

Part 3 the final cook happened on Tuesday. I started by making homemade cream corn. I used my favorite Kamado Guru recipe from @philpom 

ccingr.thumb.jpg.70e7acfe9cd4ccdd9f707c034995bf8b.jpg

creamcorn.thumb.jpg.f4c19b23ca339c3878a035db8b9af60e.jpg

I then started to put together the Brunswick Pot Pie. 

bpotingr.thumb.jpg.0c9711fe54f9b1460d16df3bf79a49b9.jpg

I made a very simple corn bread using Jiffy, the cream corn, and an egg. 

bpotmix.thumb.jpg.47594e9cd6563f5b35f55f896db22130.jpg

Put the Brunswick Stew in a ceramic pie dish and added a layer of the Cornbread mixture on top. 

bpottogether.thumb.jpg.8f243377cbe49941e84b796677418dff.jpg

Cooked in my 19" Komodo Kamado until golden brown and bubbly. 

bpotgrill.thumb.jpg.ce550def9b7b8115bc42122b2bcf46b0.jpg

A double leftover meal is served. 

bpotchange.thumb.jpg.b9d1297ccfd035c9af3e33525594a0d4.jpg

2 hours ago, lnarngr said:

Definitely next level Brunswick stew right there. 

I needn't ask, I know it was good! 

TY @lnarngr I couldn't stop at Brunswick Stew, I've posted that cook numerous times in the past. Figured I could take a step higher.

Before just a couple of months ago I've never tasted Brunswick stew. So before that I could have never even imagined how well the sweetness of the cornbread and the sweetness of the Brunswick stew would mesh together. Now that I can put those tastes together I have to say...great combo that cook not only looks good but I'm sure it tasted excellent. 

1 hour ago, Ron5850 said:

Before just a couple of months ago I've never tasted Brunswick stew. So before that I could have never even imagined how well the sweetness of the cornbread and the sweetness of the Brunswick stew would mesh together. Now that I can put those tastes together I have to say...great combo that cook not only looks good but I'm sure it tasted excellent. 

Half the reason why I make pulled pork is so I can make Brunswick Stew. Also the homemade cream corn takes Cornbread to a new height. 

That looks delicious.   I'm glad you found the cream corn recipe useful, it's alot lighter than some.  Putting it in the cornbread is a great idea.  I usually add whole kernel corn to mine with cheddar cheese and sometimes chopped jalapenos. 

28 minutes ago, philpom said:

That looks delicious.   I'm glad you found the cream corn recipe useful, it's alot lighter than some.  Putting it in the cornbread is a great idea.  I usually add whole kernel corn to mine with cheddar cheese and sometimes chopped jalapenos. 

We love your cream corn recipe. I usually start with 2 cups whole kernel in the blender and another cup whole kernel added in the heating phase. The only real tweak is 1/8 cup of honey instead of 1/4 cup. It's the only cream corn we have eaten in the last 8 months or so. TY for the awesome recipe. 

1 minute ago, KismetKamado said:

I’ve never had Brunswick stew and I’ve never had @philpom‘s creamed corn. Two things I think I may have to remedy soon!  Great cook. Really like the idea of the cornbread topper. 

You are missing out on two of the finer things in life - BBQ life that is B)