Kamado Joe at Lowes

I looked around and did a search and did not find a discussion on this so I apologize if it has already been discussed. I bought a KJ Classic II from a local dealer and plan to do my first real cook on it this weekend due to poor weather and then business travel this week. I ran into Lowes today to pick up some lump (KJ Big Block thanks to the reviews here) and saw that they are now carrying the KJ Classic there. I found it interesting that it is the original classic with the old spring style hinge, original top damper and felt gasket. I assume it is designed to hit the low price point they have it at- I am not sure if we can post pricing or not, but it is really low and competitive to the Vision and the Primo Kamado I looked at when I started my purchase journey. Anyone else notice this or is it old news? 

Thanks. I just haven't seen them there before, especially while I have been looking. Seemed strange that I had not seen them there all summer. I am in there all of the time (we just bought a new house and have been doing renovations).

Was really hoping that one would end up on clearance at a local store but they’re holding that $799 price tag. They probably have stock at a distribution center and aren’t sitting on them in store so I probably won’t ever see the sweet deal I’ve heard of others getting. Missed on a $450 Classic on FB market place, seen a $500 early model Big Joe that needed its wheels replaced in the stand, might offer up a trade to the guy if it’s still posted in another week or see if he’ll budge on his price. I don’t like the idea of a ceramic cooker with no warranty as he’s likely registered it and made a warranty claim already but I would love to have another Big Joe!!!

Some locations carry the classic 2 and some carry the original. I am not aware of any locations with both,  it probabaly happens, that both would be in the same store, but I don’t think they are stocked together as a rule. I have no clue why. It’s not old inventory. It’s a stock item at most/many locations.

On 10/19/2019 at 7:23 AM, prowe said:

Some locations carry the classic 2 and some carry the original. I am not aware of any locations with both,  it probabaly happens, that both would be in the same store, but I don’t think they are stocked together as a rule. I have no clue why. It’s not old inventory. It’s a stock item at most/many locations.

I saw a walkthrough of the Classic III on YouTube and the person there stated that the "Big Box" stores (in this case, Lowes) only get the original Classic which is what I saw and what I saw online. Makes sense as the price was $750 and I am sure is aimed directly at Home Depot and their $699 Louisiana Grills Kamado. I am just glad to see Lowe's carry the KJ Big Block. That is what I always used in my Primo. I tried several, including Primo's own but kept coming back to the KJ. Also saw a thread on another BBQ site that benchmarked a bunch of coal and KJ beat all the others in cook time. I think it was 37 hours. I like the Big Block so much that it had something to do with me going to the KJ instead of a Primo Kamado at $779.

3 hours ago, Larrsz said:

I saw a walkthrough of the Classic III on YouTube and the person there stated that the "Big Box" stores (in this case, Lowes) only get the original Classic which is what I saw and what I saw online. Makes sense as the price was $750 and I am sure is aimed directly at

I don’t care about what you saw online. You saw my post “ online”. Refer to my previous post for actual facts.

14 hours ago, prowe said:

I don’t care about what you saw online. You saw my post “ online”. Refer to my previous post for actual facts.

Confrontational, much? If it's online it has to be right, right? 

That being said, assuming you are right, I guess that's a good thing unless they sell so many that KJ starts to cut corners in manufacturing to meet demand. Or, reduces the warranty because the mass market refuses to learn about what they bought and claims start going up.

16 hours ago, chickenwings said:

It's so tough though...that's half price of the KJ III!!

Not sure it is too tough if you have a Costco membership. You can get a price not too far above that (given the things in the Roadshow package that are well worth it) and it is free shipping. My wife would pay $200 for the hinge alone. She hated the Primo because of the heft of the lid. 

10 hours ago, Larrsz said:

Confrontational, much? If it's online it has to be right, right? 

That being said, assuming you are right, I guess that's a good thing unless they sell so many that KJ starts to cut corners in manufacturing to meet demand. Or, reduces the warranty because the mass market refuses to learn about what they bought and claims start going up.

Lol, sorry, I was in a mood. But you can, infact, assume I am correct. Dont always assume I’m correct. But, I’m correct on this.

• 1 month later...