pmillen

Masterbuilt Gravity Series

7 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Mine is not producing a stick burner flavor profile.  It's more of a Kamado profile.

I ran post oak chunks in the feed chute and in the ash bin at all times so the first three hours were very smokey.

Also, the briskets points were 225 for two hours and 350 for 2.5 hours.

Apple juice/apple cider vinegar spray every 45 minutes, wrapped in butcher paper for the last 1.5 hours.

Some of the best brisket I've ever done.

Thanks for all the advice!

I think I will go with a controller for now and see how it goes with the Akorn. Once the grill season warms up I'll probably sell the Traeger, and get the Masterbuilt. And then down the road invest in a ceramic kamado.

I have neither the money or the real estate to buy them all :)

Eventually, a full size kamado, the Akorn Jr and the Masterbuilt should be a nice stable.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:23 AM, O C said:

Thanks for all the advice!

Eventually, a full size kamado, the Akorn Jr and the Masterbuilt should be a nice stable.

I have a Big Joe, Timberline 1300 and an Akorn Jr and is't the perfect combination for me.

I love mine, cooked brisket points three times and ribs three times.

It's not super sturdy and the Wi Fi sucks but the temp controller function works great and the gravity feed works flawlessly.

For the money it's hard to beat and for me at least, getting offset stickburner wood smoke flavor in the meat is fantastic.

DSC00425.JPG

DSC00427.JPG

Thanks for the update. I can't see the facebook group stuff anymore but it seems to be a worthy grill for the price.

I was look at getting a kamado, but then saw this thread and now I'm having trouble deciding which would be best. My smoker just died and I'm looking at getting a grill smoker combination with a $1000 budget. I love smoking brisket and ribs. I also want to get into reverse searing steaks and maybe pizza. Would anyone recommend getting this over a Kamado?

8 hours ago, jdahlgren said:

I was look at getting a kamado, but then saw this thread and now I'm having trouble deciding which would be best. My smoker just died and I'm looking at getting a grill smoker combination with a $1000 budget. I love smoking brisket and ribs. I also want to get into reverse searing steaks and maybe pizza. Would anyone recommend getting this over a Kamado?

I would get a Kamado over a pellet grill, if it will be your only grill. About the only pellet grill you can actually high temp grill with is the new Weber that just came out. Another question is would you like the flavor of a pellet grill, they have a different flavor profile then a Kamado or other charcoal grill? Do you know anyone with a pellet grill that you could taste the results of one of their cooks?

1 hour ago, retfr8flyr said:

I would get a Kamado over a pellet grill, if it will be your only grill. About the only pellet grill you can actually high temp grill with is the new Weber that just came out. Another question is would you like the flavor of a pellet grill, they have a different flavor profile then a Kamado or other charcoal grill? Do you know anyone with a pellet grill that you could taste the results of one of their cooks?

Thanks for the response, I guess the alluring draw of the 560 is it still uses lump coal or briquettes, can do 225-700 and get to 225 in about 7min and 700 in about 15min. From all the videos I've seen it holds the temp really well. The Kamado just seems to be the best all around for everything and built to last.

It came down to wood smoke flavor in the meat for me.

I've got a large Kamado, a pellet spitter, four Weber rigs from small to large but the new Masterbuilt gravity cooker gets me back to offset stickburner wood smoke flavored meat.

That's what I've been looking for ever since I quit driving a stickburner.

The buy in is a bonus.

10 hours ago, retfr8flyr said:

About the only pellet grill you can actually high temp grill with is the new Weber that just came out.

Many pellet grills have direct flame zones that have a grilling area over a wood flame; Cookshack's Fast Eddy PG line, MAK, Memphis and more.

2 hours ago, Chasdev said:

It came down to wood smoke flavor in the meat for me.

I've got a large Kamado, a pellet spitter, four Weber rigs from small to large but the new Masterbuilt gravity cooker gets me back to offset stickburner wood smoke flavored meat.

That's what I've been looking for ever since I quit driving a stickburner.

The buy in is a bonus.

Thanks fellow Austinite! So if you had to choose to keep one between your kamado and this masterbuilt you'd lean masterbuilt? Also is there anything you'd prefer to cook on the kamado over the masterbuilt?

9 hours ago, pmillen said:

Many pellet grills have direct flame zones that have a grilling area over a wood flame; Cookshack's Fast Eddy PG line, MAK, Memphis and more.

True but the actual flame area is so small that it's only good for a couple steaks at a time and the price is fairly high. I would never plan on a pellet grill as my only grill. The new Weber looks like it may be the exception, Babyback Maniac is doing some testing on one currently. I look forward to his assessment, as he has owned almost every grill out there.

21 hours ago, jdahlgren said:

Thanks fellow Austinite! So if you had to choose to keep one between your kamado and this masterbuilt you'd lean masterbuilt? Also is there anything you'd prefer to cook on the kamado over the masterbuilt?

Not really but if I did not have the Weber's for direct over the coals cooking, the Kamado would fill that gap.

For super low and slow I use the pellet rig but truth be told I have grown lazy in my old age and the least amount of work is now my prime directive and since I can run 24 hours on the pellet burner with almost no fiddling at all, well you know..