Masterbuilt Gravity Series

pmillen

It looks really nice. Adds a front shelf too. Heftier build. Here is a site with some pics

https://thebbqhq.com/products/masterbuilt-gravityfed-series-1050

I'd already made up my mind to get the 560 and was just a question of when (and where to put it). Now that I see the 1050 its become a question of which and when. And where...

I'll be keeping the Traeger 575, Akorn  and Akorn jr.. I figure four grills is still short of 'crazy grill guy' :-)

• 2 weeks later...

For those that have owned the MB Gravity Series and a Kamado, is there any reason to pick a Kamado if you're only going to own one or the other? MB appears to win on cooking space per dollar, temp management, startup time, etc. 

I was leaning towards a Big Joe but the 1050 seems to be the smarter choice (longevity being the only concern).

The older I get the more lazy I become so my Kamado sits under it's cover and my Masterbuilt 560 cooks on.

Part of my motivation is being able to impart more "offset stick-burner" wood smoke flavor than with the Kamado.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 11:11 PM, AgentScarn said:

is there any reason to pick a Kamado if you're only going to own one or the other? 

A Kamado doesnt need power

A Kamado has fewer moving parts (less points of failure)

A Kamado has a better warrenty 

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2020 at 10:47 PM, Polar Bear said:

A Kamado doesnt need power

A Kamado has fewer moving parts (less points of failure)

A Kamado has a better warrenty 

Part of the reasons I chose the Kamado.  More versatile for what I wanted to do.  I loved the idea of the gravity series...but for the cost of the 1050 (Had read too many negative reviews of the build quality of the 560) it was way easier to go KJ Classic.  Yes, I sacrificed space...but I don't do a ton of large cooks and (at least for now) I still have a Weber Kettle and gasser to provide extra grilling or heating space if needed.

If they get the longevity of these things up there, I think the decision becomes a bit different...but too many parts to go wrong right now with them IMO.  For the money...give me the product I know right now is going to last and last and last.

One thing a clay pot can't do that a Gravity cooker can, and that's make the meat taste like I want it to taste.

I'm not in this game for the fun or how much or little I spend on gear, I am after the taste of off set smoker cooked meat BUT I can't tend fire all day any more in the heat so the Masterbuilt gravity allows me to cook from sun up to sun down with my only having to start the fire, load the meat and every 5/6 hours, add more charcoal and wood chunks.

I cook brisket hot and fast now and there's very little difference in how the meat comes out between the gravity feed and the off set rig.

I should add that I incorporate more hard wood into the charcoal than the manufacturer recommends.

5 hours ago, Chasdev said:

I should add that I incorporate more hard wood into the charcoal than the manufacturer recommends.

Into the charcoal chute or into the ash box?

I wound up buying a 560 based upon reviews from various FB groups and John's review and subsequent videos on the 1050.  I was reading his post on the Fireboard 2 Drive and it dawned on me.  The Fireboard 2 Drive is a great controller for your grill.  Tons of bells and whistles, probe inputs, etc.  I poked around and by the time you buy the fan and other accessories to make it control temp, you are north of $225.

The 560 is on the market for anywhere from $499 down to $300.  It has a controller built in.  Granted the control system doesn't have the bells and whistles that the Fireboard 2 does, but at the end of the day, it controls the temp and lets me know when my steak hits that perfect medium rare.

I  probably paid too much for my 560 at $449 assembled plus a cover at my local HD, but I felt and still feel that it was a fair deal.

Before I forget, I have a 1st gen iKamand that works great on my Joe Classic, so I am not swayed by haters, naysayers and fanboys banging on a product.  I try things out and form my own judgement.

In my simple little mind, I put a value of a control system at $200.  $449 for the 560 - $200 = $249 assembled PLUS a cover!  I just don't see grills with this amount of flexibility and versatility for $249 these days.

Build quality of the 560?  Just what I expect for a $249 grill.  I have cooked everything from brisket to hot dogs on my 560 and it has performed flawlessly.  Will I buy a Gen 2 or 3 when this one dies in 4 or 5 years?  You betcha!

19 hours ago, pmillen said:

Into the charcoal chute or into the ash box?

Both!

I put large chunks of oak or pecan layered between charcoal layers all the way to the top then I place one of the same in the ash bin and replace that one every hour.

I love mixing oak and pecan smoke.

6 hours ago, Chasdev said:

I put large chunks of oak or pecan layered between charcoal layers all the way to the top

So those "large chunks" burn in the chute and finally fall into the ash bin when they're small enough to pass through the openings?

Do you notice if any ash migrates into the cooking chamber?

Yup, the coals from wood chunks and charcoal both fall into the ash bin, that's what ignites the wood in the bin.

NO ashes in the cook area or on the meat ever.

There's a large square tube that connects to the burn chamber and it runs the length of the cook chamber with openings along each side to distribute the heat.