Masterbuilt Gravity Series

pmillen

2 minutes ago, pr0wlunwoof said:

I think it could be done. The most expensive part is the shute and firebox. That needs to be made of 1/4 minimum. The rest of it can be made of sheet metal.

Naa... it doesn't need to be 1/4".  It doesn't really even need to be 3/16".  It just needs to be built like some of the higher end pellet grills that are built to last.  Weber kettle grills last for years and years and they are nowhere near that heavy.

Just now, John Setzler said:

Naa... it doesn't need to be 1/4".  It doesn't really even need to be 3/16".  It just needs to be built like some of the higher end pellet grills that are built to last.  Weber kettle grills last for years and years and they are nowhere near that heavy.

In my experience that part gets ridiculously hot. Firebox on my gravity is north of 700f when I'm running as low as 220. That's why I would want to see a very stout firebox or else you will burn it out/warp it. Pellets run a more direct fire in a replaceable fire bowl. The firebox and shute of a gravity feed dont need to be replaceable in my opinion.

Here is a picture of my firebox and shute. The firebox is closer to 3/4 on mine as I found a drop to make it.

20191210_180009.jpg

5 minutes ago, pr0wlunwoof said:

In my experience that part gets ridiculously hot. Firebox on my gravity is north of 700f when I'm running as low as 220. That's why I would want to see a very stout firebox or else you will burn it out/warp it. Pellets run a more direct fire in a replaceable fire bowl. The firebox and shute of a gravity feed dont need to be replaceable in my opinion.

Here is a picture of my firebox and shute. The firebox is closer to 3/4 on mine as I found a drop to make it.

20191210_180009.jpg

Good luck at finding a manufactured version built like that in a price point of $1500 or less.

7 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Good luck at finding a manufactured version built like that in a price point of $1500 or less.

I think its doable. The cabinet part can be pressed sheet metal. I think with labor you could get production cost under $600 without a controller. Now you factor in dealer costs  and supply chain etc yeah that's where costs get out of hand. That's why you have the stumps and etc over 3k.

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

I'd like to see someone make this grill in a $1500 version that is made to last.  

@SmoovD The build quality will not be any different on the two models... just the size.

Currently a 1 year warranty for $500. Those figures don't match. 

I too would love to see a better built unit in a higher price point with a much better warranty. 

I do like the concept and knowing my impulsive grill buying habit I'll probably go for the 1 year warranty version eventually. 

16 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Currently a 1 year warranty for $500. Those figures don't match. 

I too would love to see a better built unit in a higher price point with a much better warranty. 

I do like the concept and knowing my impulsive grill buying habit I'll probably go for the 1 year warranty version eventually. 

yuh.. i feel ya....  I had decided to get one here but I have since stepped back and decided to think about it.  I need to be focusing in a different direction at the moment.

6 hours ago, pr0wlunwoof said:

20191210_180009.jpg

That's exciting. Did you fabricate the smoker yourself or in part by yourself? How hot can you run the smoker and how hot does the part you mentioned get when the smoker is at it's highest temperature?

Not to hijack the thread... much...

I just saw a post on another forum about a $1200 range gravity fed smoker heading for Academy Sports at limited locations in January.  It's not an automated system like this one but it may have the possibility of having a fan controller added to it.....  I saw the post on the bbqbrethren forum...

My Masterbuilt Gravity box is waiting to be unwrapped Christmas morning and I am quite pleased it was in my family's price range.

I'll post up when I find the answer to my question on how long it takes to shut down and if it wastes charcoal doing so.

I'm also going to get right to work on seeing how much wood I can stuff in the bin without upsetting whatever level of delicate balance it maintains.

3 hours ago, Chasdev said:

My Masterbuilt Gravity box is waiting to be unwrapped Christmas morning and I am quite pleased it was in my family's price range.

I'll post up when I find the answer to my question on how long it takes to shut down and if it wastes charcoal doing so.

I'm also going to get right to work on seeing how much wood I can stuff in the bin without upsetting whatever level of delicate balance it maintains.

Looking forward to your day after Christmas cook and review. 

May not be quite that fast, Christmas is an on-line work at home day for my daughter so I can't can dominate the room with building it plus I have to build her a new jumbo cat tower to take home as well.

I'll take pics as it comes out of the box and put it together though.

Can't wait to see if it will run as a stick burner..with a little charcoal added.

Masterbuilt is sending me one of these to play with.  I was informed yesterday that one had been shipped my way earlier this week so I am not sure when it's arriving.  I got some hands on time with a couple of these at an event last weekend.  I like the idea and I hope the build quality is adequate.  I would LOVE to see a $1500 version of this grill.

7 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

That's a relief..now YOU can take and post all the pictures!

I'll concentrate on seeing how well it burns a mostly post oak diet..

Can't see why it won't, I mean gravity effects wood chunks too right?

Mmmmm... good luck with that.  Don't think that will pan out well for you.