Masterbuilt Gravity Series

pmillen

3 hours ago, Chasdev said:

You are probably right but I aim to find out how much wood it can take either mixed with charcoal or not.

I saw someone else feeding it pure wood chunks on a facebook group so it might work.  All I can tell you is that you should test it first especially if you are doing a lower temperature cook.  

I'm trying to replicate a stick-burner's hot and fast flavor profile so cook temps are 275 to 325.

A mix of wood and coals is probably the best path, just got to find the balance.

I quit face book so have to take your word on that.

2 hours ago, Chasdev said:

I'm trying to replicate a stick-burner's hot and fast flavor profile so cook temps are 275 to 325.

A mix of wood and coals is probably the best path, just got to find the balance.

I quit face book so have to take your word on that.

its all about clean smoke.  not sure if this grill is gonna make that.  i will have to play with it when mine arrives.  i dont know when its coming yet.

I figure i have a 50/50 chance of gettig this smoker here with no damage.  i am reading lots of complaints about damaged goods with these.  some of it looks like it was damaged when it got packaged and some of it is definitely shipping damage due to inadequate packaging.  if you decide to buy this smoker i would buy it from a big box store and inspect it before you leave with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got done with the initial burn-in, 250 for an hour and 400 for a half hour.
Been shut down now for 15 minutes and it seems to shut down and kill the fire pretty fast, which was one of my main concerns in terms of wasting briquettes.
My first impression is that is has no hot spots, the cook grate temp is the same left to right.
My second impression is that it changes temp VERY quickly and holds almost exactly the temp I selected.
It was right at 250 and held 402 the whole time during burn in.

I commanded 300 and in less than 10 seconds it showed 300.

I commanded 350 and in less than 10 seconds it showed 350.

There was no variation from the set temp, if I set it at 300 it went to 300, not 310 or 295.

I think the internal temp sensor must be fairly high quality (I'm hoping that means it will last a long time) as it responds to temp change inputs very quickly, much faster than my Maverick probe rig.
The exterior does not get super hot, even on the burn chamber so it's not a hazard to humans or structures (the instructions call for a lot of space between the cooker and any structure but I'm sure they have to say that).
I have mine in a screen porch and have fans rigged to suck the smoke out of the porch and with it no more than a foot away from the porch wall and screen the temps got nowhere near dangerous. I know, proceed at your own risk gents...
Tomorrow or Sunday I'll push some babybacks through it and then later a cheap brisket before trying an American Wagyu.
Anyway, so far so good, it looks like a winner!

DSC00399.JPG

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this grill. I've already told my wife "I might be getting another grill..." just to test the waters and get her used to the idea :) fortunately I'm the primary cook in our family and she likes what I cook so the initial reaction wasn't too bad!

15 hours ago, pmillen said:

The temps that you changed and that settled in at around 10 seconds were also even from side to side?

Yes the temp left to right were the same, in fact much better than my fancy new GE electric oven and without the up and down cycling of the one in my kitchen, rock steady until I told it to rise or fall.

For the burn-in it burned half a 15lb bag of generic Kingsford briquettes but I did not strictly adhere to the exact burn-in times or temps as instructed in the owners manual.

After the 1.5 hour split temp burn-in, I moved the temps up to 500 and down to 200 and all around in between just to get a feel for how it runs, all of which is to say that the amount of lump consumed may be due to my playing around rather than a statement of it's appetite.

It does seem to like to burn cheap charcoal rapidly so for todays cook it's going to run on Kamado Joe jumbo lump.

Lastly, adding hardwood to the ash bin, under the burn box rather than mixed with the unburned lump, worked great.

I could smell hickory but could not see any extra smoke which to me says complete combustion of the wood.

I'm going to add some wood to the hopper this time, about three inches above the drop grate to give the cooker time to heat up before the wood starts to combust and will report back on this method as well.

Probably going to place a chunk in the ash bin under the fire later into the cook as well as I like hickory on my pork.

I cooked some baby backs and they came out pretty good.

No wrapping, no rub, just a thin vinegar based mop every hour.

Started with them up on rack over a drip tray but that set up seemed to be taking too long so I dropped them down to the cast iron bottom cook grate to see if I could shorten the cook time, which it indeed did.

I placed the wood, both oak and hickory in the ash catch bucket and it worked like a champ, just like the maker states.

I pulled them at 195 internal but they were a tad underdone for my taste although my wife loved them.

She prefers them cut into four rib slabs before cooking so it's hard to tell then they are fully done other then internal temp testing.

I think next time 200/205 will be my target but todays leftovers will tell the true tale.

DSC00406.JPG

DSC00409.JPG