Masterbuilt Gravity Series

pmillen

Yea I downloaded the manual and read through the assembly. Seemed a bit much especially for people that might be challenged by that kind of assembly. I'm usually not challenged but those assembly directions were challenging my brain just reading them. 

Most of the stuff on the right side of the page is already put together, that's just a complete list of the parts.

In fact the upper right side of the page is already put together and bolted to the main cooker body.

The lower half of the right side of the page has to be attached by owner.

39 and up are already in place.

35 and below are the job.

The main lid is also already installed.

Most of it is super easy, there's only a few bits that require inspiration.

On 1/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, Chasdev said:

I noticed all smoke had ceased, discovered the log jam, removed and corrected the lump and wood sizes and all is well again.

I'm three hours into a 3 2 1 rib cook.

When I first started researching gravity feed systems this was a major concern. The first systems used a large diameter pipe as the charcoal shoot. This design inevitably would cause "bridging" of the charcoal and either inconsistencies in the burn or an all out extinguishment of the fire. To rectify the design people went with a rectangular shoot with a concave design with the top being narrower than the bottom to the degree the charcoal couldnt bridge itself. 

The other major issue I've read about (and experienced a little bit of)is the clogging of ash on the burn grate. This also causes inconsistencies in the burn, but not to the point of extinguishing the fire. That's why they design removable burn grates now. You can periodically jiggle the grate to release ash tha has not fallen properly.

The most useful tool when using my gravity feed is my heater meter. It regulates the temperature of the pit, Records the meat temp, and notifies me(through an app on my phone) if temperatures go above or below a range from my set point. This makes the whole experience truly set it and forget it(unless the app notifies me). 

With that said what features do the controller on the master built have?

Cook grate temp setting from 150 to 500 (if memory serves) a count up and count down timer and four extra temp probe docks plus bluetooth and wifi capability.

The charcoal chute and ash grate both work flawlessly as long as  the largest lumps and chunks of wood are stacked so they can't jam each other.

Yeah sounds like a pretty decent price point for $500. All the capabilities of some units you cant touch for less than $2k. All be it its built by a company known for disposable grills. I'm glad they made it. Maybe get some other vendors thinking about how to compete in the gravity cooker spectrum. I love my gravity. It's my favorite to cook on and produces the most consistently flavorful food with the least amount of effort. I'm not a big fan of pellet grills and think this is the perfect competition for most consumer grade units. 

3 hours ago, pr0wlunwoof said:

Yeah sounds like a pretty decent price point for $500. All the capabilities of some units you cant touch for less than $2k. All be it its built by a company known for disposable grills.

About $500 for a 1 year warranty. They need to do much better than that. $500 for a 5 year warranty would be much more in line with the rest of the world. 

I just bought a SS fire pit. About $275 for a lifetime warranty. 

Why doesn't anyone want to talk about the totally crappy warranty 

My view on warranties is that they protect me from buying a right out of the box defective unit, such as a dead controller or a major part missing from the box.

I don't look for longer term protection other than electronics.

6 hours ago, Chasdev said:

My view on warranties is that they protect me from buying a right out of the box defective unit, such as a dead controller or a major part missing from the box.

I don't look for longer term protection other than electronics.

I don't know about that. Lots of people rely on their lifetime warranty to get cracked ceramics replaced. 

I look at warranties as the length of time a company feels their product will last with minimum problems. With only a one year warranty you're basically buying a disposable grill. They want it to fail after a year or two so go out and buy a new grill.