pmillen

Masterbuilt Gravity Series

1 hour ago, pmillen said:

Oh.  I can't read the discussions now without joining.  I gather that for each size of charcoal piece there’s an ideal size for the grate openings.  It kinda’ makes sense, then, for users to ensure that the grate is optimized for the charcoal piece size they intend to consistently use.  That seems difficult for lump and easy for briquettes.

Is that a reasonable assessment of the “problems”?

It's just one of those things that I consider to be a perceived problem rather than an actual problem.  The discussions are in regards to pieces of charcoal falling through the grate into ash bin and getting snuffed out by the ash that is in the bin.  The theory is that this is an inefficient operation and that it is a waste of charcoal.  Here's an image i lifted from the FB group...

79240476_10216008800241879_8775804322551169024_o.jpg

The factory grate on the bottom will definitely let smaller pieces of coal fall through.  The intended design here was to let smaller pieces of lit coals fall through because they are going to cause the wood chunks that you put in the ash bin to smolder.  The intended design is for the smoke to be created by smoldering wood chunks in the ash bin.  This way you can create less smoke if you want by not adding any wood or adding more if you like.  

The end users are also adding wood chunks in with the charcoal in the hopper instead of using the ash bin technique.  I guess it's all just preference.  I got to play with a couple of these in Atlanta in December and just could not see the need for modifications of this type.  But we weren't using Kingsford either.

I think there may be confusion over the grate opening size and the type of charcoal used.

If you use the smallest pieces of lump then some of them will fall into the ash bin but even if they do, they still burn once the larger lump pieces burn down enough to fall into the ash bin and cause them to catch fire.

15 hours ago, Chasdev said:

I think there may be confusion over the grate opening size and the type of charcoal used.

If you use the smallest pieces of lump then some of them will fall into the ash bin but even if they do, they still burn once the larger lump pieces burn down enough to fall into the ash bin and cause them to catch fire.

Exactly.  But its still a perceived problem and I think its mostly with folks using briquettes.

I visited the Kingsford website today and they make a bunch of stuff I had never seen or heard of before, it's worth a look, although I can argue the fact that no retailers near my abode carrying ANY of the upscale items, is responsible for my ignorance.

They also say there's a "NEW" product going to be revealed Jan 20, so stay tuned for whatever that is.

I would love to try the oak hardwood version of their briquettes, but no worries the KamadoJoe lump is working nicely.

I am about ready to set mine out at the street and let the garbage man come pick it up.  I'll admit I am not good at putting things together but this thing is by far the biggest pain in the ### on assembly I have come across in a long time.  The catch-22 on this is that, after trying to work through this process, I would NEVER buy one assembled by Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart.  I don't think I could trust those folks to do this correctly.

Question?

Too many beers or not enough?

I ended up flopping mine around at different angles as the required pieces went on, that whole tape the gasket in place this was a farce so I tipped it so gravity held the gasket in place.

The screws that hold the control panel to the body are hard and need a LONG screwdriver plus a small diameter long stem  flexible magnet works great to get the lost handle mount screws out of purgatory.

I had a slight advantage being an ASE Master auto tech with about $100,000 worth of tools about 30 feet away....

1 hour ago, Chasdev said:

Question?

Too many beers or not enough?

I ended up flopping mine around at different angles as the required pieces went on, that whole tape the gasket in place this was a farce so I tipped it so gravity held the gasket in place.

The screws that hold the control panel to the body are hard and need a LONG screwdriver plus a small diameter long stem  flexible magnet works great to get the lost handle mount screws out of purgatory.

I had a slight advantage being an ASE Master auto tech with about $100,000 worth of tools about 30 feet away....

20200111_132705.jpg

Yea... THAT is where I stand.  I'm frustrated with it.  It's put together but i'm gonna roll it back in the garage and I'm not gonna look at it again for a while.  

Congrats!

Welcome to the brotherhood of "we who hate stupid instruction writers".

That's not to imply that you were not already a member in good standing.

I want this grill, and my wife has approved the purchase :) but I still keep holding off...So what's stopping me?

I rediscovered my love for grilling with the Akorn a few years ago. Early last year, wanting something a little 'easier' I picked up a Traeger 575. Its been my go to grill since.
I like the idea of the MB 560, getting that charcoal flavor back, low and slow or searing temps, only needing one fuel (I would sell the Traeger). Hopefully easier maintenance. Still have the digital control like the Traeger. Double-walled, decent price, capacity is ample for my needs.

I bought the Akorn because I didn't want to spend $$$ on a Kamado Joe only to find out Kamados weren't my thing. 
Ever since I bought the Akorn, I've always thought if I knew then what I know now, I would have bought the KJ. I haven't yet because the Akorn has been so good for me. I think what I really like about the Traeger and the MB is that digital control.

So now I'm thinking instead of the MB, maybe I should be looking at finally getting the KJ Classic, and as John Setzler states,"Buy a Temperature Control System for your Kamado.  It's worth the investment."

5 hours ago, O C said:

So now I'm thinking instead of the MB, maybe I should be looking at finally getting the KJ Classic, and as John Setzler states,"Buy a Temperature Control System for your Kamado.  It's worth the investment."

I'm not advocating the MB though I do think the simplicity should be comparable to the traeger, but the KJ is gonna be about the same as the acorn. Why not skip the KJ purchase and just get a temp controller for the akorn.

2 hours ago, pr0wlunwoof said:

I'm not advocating the MB though I do think the simplicity should be comparable to the traeger, but the KJ is gonna be about the same as the acorn. Why not skip the KJ purchase and just get a temp controller for the akorn.

Honestly its that thinking that has kept me with the Akorn these past few years. But, it won't last forever. Although its holding up well! I suppose I could look at a temp controller with adapters available for Akorn and KJ and see how it works out, then decide. Even if I get the MB, I would probably keep the Akorn (for sure the Akorn Jr that I also have) so a temp controller is not likely to go to waste. The KJ is appealing because of its likely longevity, and some of its accessories that would be fun to have. 

11 hours ago, O C said:

Honestly its that thinking that has kept me with the Akorn these past few years. But, it won't last forever. Although its holding up well! I suppose I could look at a temp controller with adapters available for Akorn and KJ and see how it works out, then decide. Even if I get the MB, I would probably keep the Akorn (for sure the Akorn Jr that I also have) so a temp controller is not likely to go to waste. The KJ is appealing because of its likely longevity, and some of its accessories that would be fun to have. 

If you truly enjoy cooking on a Kamado, you should consider getting an upgraded Kamado.  You will not be disappointed.

I switched from a stickburner to a Kamado because I reached the point where I was no longer willing to tend fire every hour for 8/12 hours in order to smoke a brisket.

The Kamado, once I installed a PartyQ blower system, was set and forget, BUT no amount of wood chunks or smoke adding devices got me where I wanted to be flavor wise.

The Masterbuilt gravity however takes me right back to stickburner bark and flavor and I don't have to monitor the fire constantly, so for me it's a done deal.

DSC00413.JPG

DSC00425.JPG

DSC00427.JPG

54 minutes ago, Chasdev said:

I switched from a stickburner to a Kamado because I reached the point where I was no longer willing to tend fire every hour for 8/12 hours in order to smoke a brisket.

The Kamado, once I installed a PartyQ blower system, was set and forget, BUT no amount of wood chunks or smoke adding devices got me where I wanted to be flavor wise.

The Masterbuilt gravity however takes me right back to stickburner bark and flavor and I don't have to monitor the fire constantly, so for me it's a done deal.

DSC00413.JPG

DSC00425.JPG

DSC00427.JPG

Mine is not producing a stick burner flavor profile.  It's more of a Kamado profile.

12 hours ago, O C said:

Even if I get the MB, I would probably keep the Akorn (for sure the Akorn Jr that I also have) so a temp controller is not likely to go to waste. The KJ is appealing because of its likely longevity, and some of its accessories that would be fun to have. 

I would go the route of a controller for the Akorn. I have a gravity feed stumps clone I built with a heatermeter controller and honestly it is the cats pajamas. The MB is by no means a direct comparison to the stumps clone, but given your enjoyment of the traiger I think you will likely enjoy the simplicity and versatility of the MB. Any ceramic cooker would be a good investment, but you already have a kamado cooker so its kinda duplicate capability. If you go the route of the controller for the Akorn and you enjoy it and can accomplish the cooks you want wait for the ceramic to go on sale or the Akorn to give up the ghost. 

Now if your made out of money and have nothing but time, buy and do all of them. Collecting cookers is something I would do if I were wealthy.