DoJoe Door v. 1.0

Charles Wagon

I dig my DoJoe and feel it definitely amped up my pizza game significantly.

On pizza night, I usually make just one pizza for me and my wife. Also, I am a cheap &*$#. So, loading up the KJ with lump with no meaningful way of snuffing out the fire has lead to a lot of wasted fuel. I tried closing up the DoJoe's gaping maw with aluminum foil with no real success. I also tried removing the DoJoe after the cook with success but at the serious risk of burns and other injuries.

So, I fabricated this little door from aluminum flashing that I bought at the BORG. Unfortunately, I had to buy a 50' roll. In the end, it's about $1.00 in material, and 10 minutes of time to cut it to size.

2019-10-19_10_19_15.thumb.jpg.dab82b30df2160d1473c1dc363c4a03a.jpg 2019-10-19_10_19_03.thumb.jpg.69bcf0129db651edf3b129ec65ad30b0.jpg 

Tomorrow is pizza night, so I just mixed up my dough for a 24-hour RT ferment.

2019-10-19_10_33_06.thumb.jpg.ce198cb9c369487934ad20d7499a3154.jpg

I will post an update after the cook to see how my little experiment goes.

So, my $1 door definitely snuffed out the fire without wasting an whole bowl full of lump. A high-temp pizza cook is going to use up a bunch of fuel. But, sans door, there is really no way to snuff out the fire without removing the DoJoe. I’ve done that without suffering burns, but I was tempting fate by continuing to do so. 

4 hours ago, KJTerp said:

Thoughts for improvement:

You could make a cute little handle

Take off the sticker...CMON MAN :P

But really, great idea, I like it!

thanks for the constructive criticism!

youre right about the sticker! What was I thinking???

i did buy a couple of cheapo cabinet knobs from the BORG, but figuring I’d run proof-of-concept before investing more time in my experiment

I don't have a dojo, so forgive me for my ignorance. Would it be easier to make a hook to pull out the dojo and hang it off the side to cool? You would have to remove the side shelf since those melt. (don't ask how I know) Or is the whole thing just too awkward and heavy to do so?

49 minutes ago, adam319 said:

I don't have a dojo, so forgive me for my ignorance. Would it be easier to make a hook to pull out the dojo and hang it off the side to cool? You would have to remove the side shelf since those melt. (don't ask how I know) Or is the whole thing just too awkward and heavy to do so?

the DoJoe is kind of heavy and unwieldy. And it’s screaming hot during and after the cook. Plus, it has the pizza stone/steel and the deflector plates, which add weight and heat mass. I’ve removed mine without mishap, but I’m on borrowed time and tempting fate at this point. Hence, trying to fabricate a door without investing a lot of time and resources. Not sure why KJ didn’t do something door-wise. 

11 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

Not sure why KJ didn’t do something door-wise. 

The DoJoe wasnt really intended for single pizza cooks so i guess they figured designing and including a way to snuff out a full firebox would have added costs to an already not inexpensive product

50 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

The DoJoe wasnt really intended for single pizza cooks so i guess they figured designing and including a way to snuff out a full firebox would have added costs to an already not inexpensive product

I realized that the DoJoe is not ideal for a single pizza cook, after purchase. It still upped my pizza game, so I don’t regret the purchase.

Just trying to compensate.

I guess I don't really understand all this. You're worried about saving $5 worth of lump when cooking one or two kick butt pizzas. Might as well go spend $20 at the local pizza joint for mediocre Pizza........ Just sayin...... 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

I guess I don't really understand all this. You're worried about saving $5 worth of lump when cooking one or two kick butt pizzas. Might as well go spend $20 at the local pizza joint for mediocre Pizza........ Just sayin...... 

I don't understand your message? Saving a couple couple bucks in lump charcoal is stupid because you have already dropped $1k+ on a grill and accessories?

If he cooks two pizzas a week and saves $5/cook in lump, the DoJoe has pretty much been paid for in one year with a $1 investment to make something that KJ really should have included in the first place.

7 minutes ago, mbellot said:

If he cooks two pizzas a week and saves $5/cook in lump, the DoJoe has pretty much been paid for in one year with a $1 investment to make something that KJ really should have included in the first place.

If he was really concerned with saving money he would have just bought a pizza stone rather than waste the money on the DoeJoe in the first place

or

If you're doing regular pizza cooks you can experiment and figure out how much lump you need in order to complete your cook with minimal wastage

I dont mean to sound negative (although i think the DoJoe is a useless add on for most people) but i am curious how its "upped your pizza game"

Edited by Polar Bear