Vas

Lifting BigJoe2

Hi all,

I'm moving next week and need some advice on lifting the BigJoe2 from its wheeled stand. Assume this is empty inside, amp fire box and all removed. 

I understand from the manual that the main lift points should be the bottom vent and the rear hinge. (correct me if I'm wrong but on BJ1 the recommendation was against the rear hinge, but that changed with version 2)

Now, if i use the bottom vent, I can only lift so far before i hit the stand rings. 

How do you all do this? Im cautious to not damage the Joe as I live in a country not officially supported by KJ, and has been a massive pain to bring it here. 

Personally don't have one, but our very own John Setzler says the hinge is a lift point on the model in this video. You are going to have to have 2 people to lift this thing.  I would have one on the hinge and one on the firebox opening.  You could try opening the lid, putting one hand inside to lift from the firebox hole until you clear the ring.  Good luck to you.

Why not take everything out of the insides like you are planning, and then just leave it in the cart for the move? When I purchased my KJC it was the floor display. We moved it in the back of his pickup truck with everything in place and it sitting on the stand. No problems, just made sure that we had a lot of help to get it into and out of the pickup.

Look at how a refrigerator mover or piano mover uses a strap to lift. 

We used an automotive tow strap, crossed under the bottom of the Kamado, and hooked behind the table brackets so they didn't shift. It let us use our upper arms to lift, and hands free to steady things. You'll want a third person to move the cart, as it's not easy to carry. 

Best of luck,

Frank

16 hours ago, Modds said:

Take off the side tables and lift it by the table brackets.

IDK if that's advisable.  I think my unpacking instructions specifically warned against it.  I assumed that the strap isn't designed to hold that weight and might slip.

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 9:07 AM, Modds said:

Take off the side tables and lift it by the table brackets.  Use towels around the brackets or wear leather gloves.  Works great!

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 1:12 AM, pmillen said:

IDK if that's advisable.  I think my unpacking instructions specifically warned against it.  I assumed that the strap isn't designed to hold that weight and might slip.

Correct

The instructions specifically advise against using the side table mounts as a primary lifting point

If you had 4 people doing the lift, I spose you could go Hinge, Vent, Table, Table but i wouldnt be expecting those bolt on brackets to take the weight of the grill

They probably would, but i still wouldnt advise it

Edited by Polar Bear