gander2112

Cook #5 - Pork Spareribs

Yesterday was cook #5 with my Kamado Joe Classic III. My second attempt of Pork Spareribs. A quick trip to Costco yesterday got me my ribs (three nice racks in the vacuum pack,) and grabbed another sack of lump charcoal.

I used a simple rub with granulated garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, powdered onion, and a dash of cayenne pepper for some zing.

I set up the KJ with the Slo-roller, and added a couple of pieces of applewood for smoke, and got the temp stable at ~275F.

I anticipated the first phase of the cook to take about 3 hours, at which time I tested the tenderness, and then wrapped the ribs in foil with a little sauce and apple juice. Two more hours on the grill, and then an hour of rest to finish.

While the ribs were resting, I prepared a smoked Macaroni and Cheese side (I used the recipe by @John Setzler I found on the KJ site). Raised the temperature to 350F and cooked it for about 45 minutes with an excursion to 425F to brown it up.

Meanwhile, I will be baking a couple loaves of a tangy sourdough bread.

The ribs were spectacular.  A bit over cooked by competition standards, but fall off the bone tender, juicy, great smoke ring, and abundantly flavorful. The Mac and Cheese was a hit as well. Could have used a little more cheddar, but it was bold, flavorful, and creamy.

I still tend to over cook the ribs (a bit of a fear of them being chewy and tough is my guess) so they weren't competition quality, but they had a great smoke ring, and the finger smacking goodness that is appreciated by the family.

3 racks of ribs on the Classic is a tight squeeze without a grill extender. Doable, but not comfortable.

IMG_6220.JPG

IMG_6223.JPG

IMG_6227.JPG

IMG_6228.JPG

Next time try going 2 hours and then foil for an hour. Once you foil close the vents a little and slowly bring the temp down to between 225 and 250. Hopefully within the hour the ribs are foiled. Take out of foil and brush with sauce. Then run nekid for 30 minutes and check to see how close they are to being done. Brush again and it may only need another 10 or 15 minutes or it may need another 30 minutes. 

Cook by feel not by time. When they are at the texture you like, pull em. I don't like a dark rib so that's why I like to bump the temp down for the last 45 minutes to an hour of the cook. I favor a sweet and spicy sauce and sugars will burn easily.

BTW everything looks great and I'll take a fall off the bone rib any day of the week.