Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyAppetizer

Your Kamado Journey

A recent post here on KG on an old kamado intrigued me. I started looking into old kamados independently and later found some links here on KG. I found some old manuals on cleaning, caring for and cooking on Imperial clay kamados. Interesting history re: importing and developing an American market, and the shift to ceramics.

I remember reading some years back about the development of charcoal for recreational cooking 1935-36, and about Hollywood stars having a charcoal grill. Backyard grilling was something new and exciting. Charcoal making for other purposes goes back way further than that.

I grew up post WW ll, and in the 60's I know for sure we had a back yard grill.

I am interested in your stories, your first grill and how you got to the grill you have today. Particularly interested if you have had or are using a clay kamado, or any older models you may have started with. Any and all stories, however brief or detailed are welcome.

Was a military brat born in the PI(1956) and as far back as I can remember we always had 2 grills hanging around. The old charcoal brazier type grill that had a hood that you could attach to the grill base and had rotis attachment. Also always remember this awful orange/green/yellow clay kamado that my dad bought in Japan and flew it back to the PI. Think my dad got his first gasser in the late 70's. His first smoker was something like an ECB but not made by Brinkman.

My first Kamado (Kikuya Hibatchi Pot) I bought on my 1st Class Midn cruise (1974) at the PONY store outside the gate of Yakota AB. My cousin who was a C-141 pilot hauled it back to the US. That kamado has made the CONUS-OCONUS circuit 3 times. Along the way I have added multiple grills charcoal, gas, pellet and a couple more ceramics. Each grill has its own purpose, though I do have a set of duplicate gassers but different models. Its been a great journey and my kids are continuing the tradition.

What I find interesting is the parallel trend toward cooking with wood only.  The recent popularity of the Argentinian, Santa Maria, and Uruguayan grills that can use wood only is a parallel experience to Kamado style cooking.  I remember seeing an article about cooking with clay pots from the garden.  This example used two pots a drill and a grill grate the fit into the bottom pot.  I don't remember how I first discovered the Kamado in 2002, but once I understood its' benefits I was hooked buying a large #7.  It was a heavy beast and was thermally superior to my current BGE.  It could go 36 hours on one load of charcoal.  If it had had the quality of ceramics as my BGE or any of the other new Kamados, and had not started to crumble, I would still have it.  

F_C

I have to admit the Santa Maria style bug bit me this past march. I ordered a Sunterra 48" and have been putzing around more with that than my other grills. Really enjoying it.

I suspect your NR 7 was an old RJ Kamado. Prior to buying my first BGE in 99 I was really intetested in one of those. Followed a bunch of Alan Zenrichs aka AlanZ posts on the old K-Forum and his old forum which is still up and running. Decided to go a different route due to weight and weight constraints on military moves.

20 hours ago, Family_cook said:

What I find interesting is the parallel trend toward cooking with wood only.  The recent popularity of the Argentinian, Santa Maria, and Uruguayan grills that can use wood only is a parallel experience to Kamado style cooking.  I remember seeing an article about cooking with clay pots from the garden.  This example used two pots a drill and a grill grate the fit into the bottom pot.  I don't remember how I first discovered the Kamado in 2002, but once I understood its' benefits I was hooked buying a large #7.  It was a heavy beast and was thermally superior to my current BGE.  It could go 36 hours on one load of charcoal.  If it had had the quality of ceramics as my BGE or any of the other new Kamados, and had not started to crumble, I would still have it.  

I thought the thread was gonna get highjacked. But you brought home, back to your kamado story!