Hi, I'm KJTerp, and I would like to know more about Temp Controllers

KJTerp

On 10/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, Heuer said:

Try doing the test again but this time turn Bluetooth off on your phone before leaving the house. Walk the distance, switch Bluetooth back on and try connecting to your temp controller.

What you saw before was latency in the app and the temp update delay.

So after being told I did not see what I in fact saw, I did the tests again.  I would have done this earlier but for the fact we were on vacation and away most of the time.

Look at the photos.  Turned on the Inkbird app out in the yard, and yep.  There it was.  Just put a steak on in my backyard on the patio behind the house.  Stuck a probe in, then went out, hooked up the app, and stood there as it was fed updated information THROUGH THE HOUSE, ACROSS THE YARD and  ACROSS THE STREET. 

Just like last time. 

It is a strange kind of "latency" that hooks up, and continues to update the temperature while "latent".  Notice the little antenna indicator dot in the upper right corner of the app?  When the last photo was taken, it still had one bar because I did not walk quite as far away as I did last time, but it was STILL UPDATING.

"Latency"?

Nope.

Tom

IMG_20191105_165218080.jpg

IMG_20191105_165306730.jpg

IMG_20191105_165324496.jpg

IMG_20191105_165353542.jpg

The antenna symbol is the Wi-Fi signal, nothing to do with Bluetooth. Wi-Fi is 40x more powerful so not surprising you were able to get a signal at that distance. The Bluetooth signal is indicated by the 'squiggle' symbol to the left but it only shows your phone has it switched on, nothing to do with signal strength or what is connected.

So to prove you are able to beat the Bluetooth specifications please switch off both your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your phone, proceed to the "HOUSE ACROSS THE STREET", switch on Bluetooth (only) and try and connect. I think what you are seeing is your phone drops the Bluetooth connection in favour of Wi-Fi. No bad thing as Wi-Fi is better for this application and gives you the range, but it is not Bluetooth you are seeing. If you are going to make these claims you need to be squeeky clean as it will lead others down the wrong path and you are doing them a disservice.

David

4 hours ago, Heuer said:

The antenna symbol is the Wi-Fi signal, nothing to do with Bluetooth. Wi-Fi is 40x more powerful so not surprising you were able to get a signal at that distance. The Bluetooth signal is indicated by the 'squiggle' symbol to the left but it only shows your phone has it switched on, nothing to do with signal strength or what is connected.

So to prove you are able to beat the Bluetooth specifications please switch off both your Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on your phone, proceed to the "HOUSE ACROSS THE STREET", switch on Bluetooth (only) and try and connect. I think what you are seeing is your phone drops the Bluetooth connection in favour of Wi-Fi. No bad thing as Wi-Fi is better for this application and gives you the range, but it is not Bluetooth you are seeing. If you are going to make these claims you need to be squeeky clean as it will lead others down the wrong path and you are doing them a disservice.

David

Based on this. 

he is using a bluetooth only capable device..

https://www.ink-bird.com/products-bluetooth-thermometer-ibt4xs.html

Looks like a very capable device! From what I can see Inkbird are using a Class 3 Bluetooth chip, hence the 1,000 mAh lithium battery  required to power it. The class 3 chip will indeed give a range of 100' or more and the Chinese manufacturer could have boosted it further as I doubt they worry about permitted power levels (Note - not FCC certified, CE certified, ROHS or FDA approved probe).

I think I will order one and give it a test.

On 11/5/2019 at 6:34 PM, Heuer said:

David

Jesus.  I'm not bothering to respond to nonsense any more.

This is a BLUETOOTH transmitter/receiver setup.  AS I ALREADY POSTED.

Tom

PS:  I see someone else pointed that out already.  Done with this.  Tired of Keyboard Kammandos spouting stuff they obviously don't bother to research.