Just bought older Kamado (help ID it?)

My buddy cuts grass and a client of his had this in their garage for years. I think I made a very solid purchase for $300(hope so?)

I’ve read a bit on here, and I’m assuming this is a late 90’s model(Richard Johnson-right?)

There’s no loose tiles, the part on top spins freely, and only one little chip on one tile right by the back hinge.

the shocks/springs squeal a bit, but I haven’t started messing with it. 

it’s about 50” tall

no place for gas starter in back(I’ve seen a square on a similar one)

the tile is in greaaaat shape. That seems to be the biggest issues Ive read about

Thanks for all ya’ll do. This page has been a great resource before I bought it. 

2114ACBF-A874-460C-BAA9-957CFEBCAB21.jpeg

6DF47957-FCEC-42B4-9F99-1CCC4BFCB0EB.jpeg

08237046-77E0-4EC6-9763-F8CB24275652.jpeg

AF025731-D594-4763-9EB4-25C28D2BDE0A.jpeg

Thanks, so it’s a “K7” probably?

I’ll post some more detailed pics inside, but I didnt notice a crack or anything. Older woman had it, and she thinks shes only cooked on it 5 -10 times. 

That seems to be the big issue(tile cracking). Im in the South, we rarely see below freezing temps. So, I’m gonna keep it covered and take care of going high. I’ve got a bunch of other grills, I plan on babying this one.

Inside looks great. The lines on there seem to be grease or something, don’t seem like cracks. I’ve gotten a little confused reading all the threads- it looks like the original “firebaaket” part is intact here. 

Should I still invest in the metal basket deal- or would ya’ll say Im ready to roll once its a bit cleaner?

B5C5CBED-31B9-4D8B-B5A3-D2EF85737388.jpeg

331C2DE5-A054-4ACB-A688-FC811602C929.jpeg

Thanks!

I think I got a hold of a good one- as far as condition. I’m gonna try and treat it right and see if I can keep it near perfect.

It was pretty much garage kept and barely used. I spoke with the woman who sold it to my buddy. She thinks she has the receipt somewhere and a cover that came with it.

I’m thinking of putting that extra coating on the inside, and using a fire basket thing—-just want to make sure I get the right size.

We are just wrapping up building a new paver patio- it will be as much decoration as grill I think

EB2AE338-458A-49F2-8A1F-1E52D4819892.jpeg

5802FDF5-104D-4693-8A00-6C664B426AAF.jpeg

AF7CC09A-26BF-4D20-B791-99091D6AD679.jpeg

That's a great looking Kamado and appears to be in fine shape. As you stated, it looks to be from the late 90's.

Most RJ Kamado's built from about the mid 90's to about 2005 were pretty decent quality. Here is a chart with

a little more info for you. Did you get any accessories with the K7 such as lower or upper bracket with grate,

heat diffuser, etc.? A word of caution - I would not take the cooking temp on it much above about 450 deg.

High heat, especially when bringing the unit up to temp very quickly, can cause heat stress and possibly

resulting in cracks.

image.png.2847c2e4efd6dd62f34b13199d624cd1.png

1 hour ago, K_sqrd said:

That's a great looking Kamado and appears to be in fine shape. As you stated, it looks to be from the late 90's.

Most RJ Kamado's built from about the mid 90's to about 2005 were pretty decent quality. Here is a chart with

a little more info for you. Did you get any accessories with the K7 such as lower or upper bracket with grate,

heat diffuser, etc.? A word of caution - I would not take the cooking temp on it much above about 450 deg.

High heat, especially when bringing the unit up to temp very quickly, can cause heat stress and possibly

resulting in cracks.

image.png.2847c2e4efd6dd62f34b13199d624cd1.png

Only the top grill itself. Im not positive what it was supposed to look like(inside) when it was new. This one was barely used and garage-kept.

i just wanna set it up right from the get-go. 
  This is it for inside pics. Id like to find a big basket to protect all I can.

Thanks a TON for the dimensions. I really think I lucked out getting this, and I wanna treat it right. Ive got plenty other grills to cook on till I get the right accessories. 
   I do have a neighbor who can weld. 

BFA16760-D06D-4E0C-8AC7-B3392BAE3165.jpeg

C6D48EAB-4F10-4511-AAC4-73F2A7BB0253.jpeg

D110A125-DE77-4F91-BADB-6A243547CF46.jpeg

6B41E2E6-2A68-4D16-AAE6-023B35CFD7F1.jpeg