Owly

Smoke Free Grilling indoors

A number of years ago I designed and built an indoor vertical grill for doing steaks and chops.  The  idea was to build a "toaster" more or less to do "non contact grilling".   The vertical grill required a vertical clamping rack with a base, which I made using an off the shelf clamping grill that I modified.  The heat source  is a cheap hot plate with a coil element like an old fashion electric stove....... I hate electric stoves!!  except induction.    I stood the hot plate on edge, and bypassed the control so it is always full power.    A damp paper towel protects the counter top and absorbs drips.    There is no contact, and no drips touch the heat source, nor are there any hot surfaces to touch the meat, so there is zero smoke and almost no smell.   You control it by spacing it (meat) closer or farther from the heat source.  It does a superb job, and is clean and smoke free.   Of course it does not infuse the meat with any flavors, as a barbecue does, but I often marinade or adobo.    Cleanup is a breeze!

I'm about to build a replacement that will  use the ceramic catalytic plaque from a Buddy heater, and will be a permanent part of my new  home built cooktop, which will include 2 propane burners and one induction, and the grill, on top of a home fabricated brick oven surrounded by KOwool.    My kitchen project for the year..........

H.W.

13 hours ago, lnarngr said:

Wow! 

A pic is worth a thousand words! 

I do not have any photos........... It didn't seem worthy of that......... It's toaster for all intents and purposes.   When I make the Buddy version, I will photograph it...........       2 1/4" bolts attach the hot plate to a piece of angle iron.......  Needless to say I dismantled the hot plate to bolt the angle iron on.  When I built the Buddy grill I'll post some photos of that, as it will be part of a much larger project.

H.W.