Sign in to follow this  
king0fspades

Seekh Kabobs on Kamado Joe Classic II - Grill Flared up

Background:  Just bough my Kamado Joe II last week.  Cooked for a family of 2, everything came out wonderful.  Decided to do a BBQ party.

(If you don't know, Indian/Pakistani Seekh Kabobs are made from 70%lean beef with 30% fat.)  Added some butter as the recipe stated.  Cooked 2-3 skewers fine a day before.

On the party day, heated the grill without deflectors to 450.   Put 25 skewers.  All the fat went onto the charcoal and grill flared up pretty bad.  Whole patio got full of smoke.

If I use a drip pan, I think it will block the direct heat.    How do I deal with dripping fat going on the grill and creating flare ups?

4 hours ago, king0fspades said:

How do I deal with dripping fat going on the grill and creating flare ups?

Well, there are number of ways to deal with flare ups.* Use a half stone as a  deflector so you have one indirect cooler side of the grill and one side directly over the coals, then you can play "Hot Potato" shifting your food from one side to the other. ( Hint,  mark it with grill marks as dark as you want, and then let it finish over the deflector indirect. . * Build a smaller fire to begin with, so you have hot and cooler spots so you can move food over and away from direct heat.  Use a full deflector  or drip pan and cook indirect. If you dump a big chimney full of burning coals in and have no cool spots under your grate,  it is hard to get everything on a kebab cooked through before some of it chars or burns. * You can also raise the grate height so you have more space between the coals and your food. Take your pick. I Iike the first one.  Also if you mix veggies and meats on the same kebob it is harder to get every thing cooked through with out over cooking or burning something. If I am cooking a number of kebobs I often cook meat, fish, and veggies  on different kebobs. 

In addition to the suggestions that @keeperovdeflame gave, the reason for your flare ups could've of been having the lid open longer flipping the skewers. When cooking for two you probably got in and got out. It doesn't take long for the fire to start raging when the lid is open.