Owly

Fasting for Survival

Last year in December, I stepped on a scale, and registered 202....... which for my 5'6" (actually I've shrunk to 5'5" (age 64)).......... is far too much.   I've spent most of my life in the range or about 180... which is still to heavy.   I had taken up home brewing........ doing about one brew a week (2 - 3 gallons).   I love to brew, and I've been brewing beer and wine since I was in my early teens.  My brother loves to tell the story about me with my Louisville slugger.... and apples in a burlap sack, at age 12 pulverizing the apples to make apple jack.......... the truth is that I NEVER owned a Louisville  Slugger.... It was a cheap bat, and I was never much of a team player, but I did do fermentation from about that date forward, usually with a hydrometer and real beer or wine yeast.  And I ranged into distillation.  None of these activities were known to any adults......... I was clever and secretive...... 

I had let things get out of control........... and it showed not only by my weight, but when I put on my electronic blood pressure cuff, the result matched the weight numbers........ or very nearly!!!

I was going to die an early death..........or spend the rest of my life taking drugs!    I do NOT doctor, and never have, except for laceration repairs (stitches), or for antibiotics when I have something life threatening like Strep.   Neither alternative had any appeal to me.......... but death is the preferred option to joining the herd of folks who visit doctors and live on drugs........ otherwise known as poisons!

I stopped eating that day............ and for 4 days, took a break of 48  hours, and resumed fasting.  I continued this for 110 total days of fasting, all in 3 to 4 day fasts.    The pounds melted away, and my eating habits changed.  Within a couple of months, my blood pressure was within an "acceptable range"....... Acceptable for my age.  I do not buy medical absolutes.......  roughly 130/85.   I continued my "program"........ and is is 100% mine.   I do NOT follow any defined program.   My policy was to fast, but pay attention to my body.  If the "signals" told me to break after 3 days.......... I did it.  If it was smooth sailing and I was feeling good, I might go 5 days.  Friends and relatives were horrified......."you are going to ruin your health"....... Utter nonsense!!   I do not do things with my eyes closed or ignore my body.   I reached my 50 pound target in early may, and have gained back the expected amount of about 6-7 lbs, and have been holding at that consistently....... about 158 +/-   I do have a target of about 10 lbs less, and plan to pursue it this spring.    During my fast, I walked every day......... I always have walked at least 2  miles a day through the woods on my own path.   I REFUSE TO WORK OUT OR HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH GYMs........  That stems from my hatred of my elementary school gym teacher I suspect.....but that is another and rather entertaining story.     "Hatred" is probably too strong a word.... I was a stubborn child, and could not be bullied either by my peers or adults.......  I never recognized a difference for all intents and purposes.    Backpacking in the mountains this summer was effortless.... I've always been strong and robust, but with the weight loss I was unstoppable.  

...........  I AM NOT A FASTING ADVOCATE.......  There is much benefit, and if you do your research you will find this to be true.  But it is NOT for everybody, just as Keto, or Atkins is not for everybody.  It was for me.  I was NOT willing to spend years clawing my weight down.  From what I have seen dieting does not work for most people.   Lifestyle change is critical, whatever path you take.    Fasting was for me... it may not be for you.   I have a contempt for the conventional medical "wisdom", and I am impervious to criticism when I am comfortable with my choices....... unless that criticism is based on solid facts.  It almost never is.   Folk wisdom, and the common knowledge is largely nonsense, and I've long recognized that.  This puts me at odds with most people, most of the time.    I was not willing to take years to achieve my goal... I'm strong, healthy, and determined... a survivor , who has relied on my own instinct in situations most folks never encounter, because I push the limits, and always have.    People often say "I couldn't do that".......  that's fine with me.  Do what you can.   

H.W.

Wow, 3-5 days is amazing, I’m good with 20 hours right now. I could probably go longer but I try to eat from noon to four and what I do eat is keto. Been wanting to push to 24 and see what’s next but I’m having success with this and I want to keep it sustainable. I’ve dropped 30 pound in 8 weeks but only been doing intermittent fasting about 3 weeks and the pounds have really started coming off with the fasting. All I’ve done is diet modification. I don’t work out and I walk a few miles a day during the course of my work day. So far it’s been working well. Fasting is very helpful if you can adjust to it and listen to your body. 

"listen to your body" is foundational.......   I had to take several breaks from fasting...... or chose to rather... when my body signaled me that I needed to.   The one very troubling ....... downright scary.. manifestation happened far along, when I woke up one morning feeling as if I was drunk....... vertigo.    Walking down to get the mail.... a mile through the woods, I had to move my head slowly, and put my full attention on placing my feet, and staying upright...   Needless to say I ate "normally" until it had passed.    I think I know what caused it, and it was not related to fasting.  It gradually improved over the course of about 4 days, and I believe was inner ear related.

Your results  impress me!!   Do what works for you.   Your body want's to hang on to it's reserves it is genetically hardwired into us.  Fat reserves are stored energy.......... money in the bank so to speak.   Your body's metabolism will change to conserve these reserves.

Fasting offers the added benefits of going into ketosis quickly and staying there....... I take water and decaf coffee only during my fasts... It also results in autophagy, and extremely valuable process in which your body seeks out damaged cells and consumes the resources in them for energy, and even will start consuming arterial plaque buildups, and other unnecessary stuff.  It even breaks down the plaques in the brain that cause Alzheimer's.    Here's an interesting documentary on Utube:   The Science of  Fasting    It describes work done by a Russian doctor using clinical fasting to cure patients of many ailments in a highly controlled environment where they were carefully monitored.  It has since spread to where it is common in Europe, and most interestingly an American researcher discovered that fasting before chemo virtually eliminated the side effects........ on mice.    People have since used this with great success, mostly on their own without the blessing of their doctors it would seem.......  I understand the doctor's position about using unproven technology.   A 24 hour fast before a course of chemo........  no side effects.   I'd take the fasting any day over the side effects!!

H.W.

6 hours ago, Owly said:

"listen to your body" is foundational.......

I feel so enthused to see the previous posts. In the last 2 years I have gotten the "from another planet" reaction to those who misundertand fasting. Chemo fasting working for H.W. Fantastic. Maybe this concept will grow.

Just had the listening to your body discussion with my wife earlier. We feel that people are corralled into action as they perceive they have no time. Time for: listening to your body: doing some research and asking questions; trial and error.

There seems to be time for meds with some crazy side effects/minimal help. I may be found to have no time to experiment with a nasty side effect.

M.

I used to fast a day or two in my late teen years and found it easy, no cravings or hunger pains at all.

I guess I had been reading about middle eastern holy guys and wanted to get in on the act.

These days, after having enjoyed three squares a day for 50+ years since my late teens, it's not quite as easy.

My reading on the innertubes reveal the need to hydrate and supplement with vitamins and minerals or risk bad stuff happening to my innards.

So, what did you drink during your extented fasting and what supplements were swallowed?

Plain water, clear soup, bone broth, green tea or coffee perhaps?

Fasting helps with autophagy-the body's  ability for cell repair. 

My limited, layman's perception is to avoid insulin spikes. -plethora of ways to do this, but the answer circles back to avoiding insulin spikes/intake of food with a high glycemic index- i.e.sugary foods.

Many hear the word insulin and think immediately "that's only for diabetics". Our bodies make insulin routinely, depending on food intake, diabetic or not.

So I bet that may be addressed somehow in the answer from @owly we are looking for.

M.