Joey

First time use

Hello everyone,

Tomorrow my first kamado will arrive! Rejoice! 
I thought it would be a fun idea to ask my dad to help me set it up. This ofcourse means he gets to join me in the first cook. 
The guy loves steak. So i was planning on firing the kamado up to a high temperature. But is this wise for a first time cook? Should I take it slow or can I light that baby up? I know the ceramics can take a lot of heat, but still. 
I tried to look up some info, but I can't really find any other info then that you can use it right out of the box. But I don't know. It would be ashame if my new Kamado Joe would crack on its first run. Maybe you guys can help me out?

Greetings from the Netherland!

Love,

Joey.

Congrats on the kamado! Welcome to the forum also!  Lots of folks do a test/dry run to get familiar with the vents and temps. Don't let that discourage you. Chicken is a popular go to that is pretty forgiving. Go for the steak if you want. Yes ceramics can take some heat. People do pizza cooks that are 600 plus.  I personally wouldn't get to high on the first time, but I don't have the Joe. Have fun don't get discouraged and don't forget to take pics!

Welcome,  glad to have you, and your new Joe with us. My preferred steak technique is at high moderate heat between 425 and 450, not really high temps. I make a two zone cooking environment by suspending one half deflector stone beneath my main grate. This makes one side of the grate an indirect cooking zone to gently bring the steak up to temp while the other side of the grate is open to direct flame to finish the steak. I cook my steaks indirect to an IT of 115 and then pull them over the direct flame using the hot potato flip flop method. I usually put a dab of salted garlic infused butter on each side, and pull my steaks at an IT of 125 and let them rest 10 minutes.works for me. The moisture on my cutting board is a "board sauce" consisting of juice from the steak, a little olive oil, melted butter,  minced garlic, and some chopped herbs. I dredge each slice in the "board sauce" before I plate. Just adds flavor and makes it fancy. Happy Cooking:)

IMG_0397.thumb.jpeg.16cc6e5862059c6bc22e9a90bf28a93d.jpeg.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 9:47 AM, keeperovdeflame said:

Welcome,  glad to have you, and your new Joe with us. My preferred steak technique is at high moderate heat between 425 and 450, not really high temps. I make a two zone cooking environment by suspending one half deflector stone beneath my main grate. This makes one side of the grate an indirect cooking zone to gently bring the steak up to temp while the other side of the grate is open to direct flame to finish the steak. I cook my steaks indirect to an IT of 115 and then pull them over the direct flame using the hot potato flip flop method. I usually put a dab of salted garlic infused butter on each side, and pull my steaks at an IT of 125 and let them rest 10 minutes.works for me. The moisture on my cutting board is a "board sauce" consisting of juice from the steak, a little olive oil, melted butter,  minced garlic, and some chopped herbs. I dredge each slice in the "board sauce" before I plate. Just adds flavor and makes it fancy. Happy Cooking:)

IMG_0397.thumb.jpeg.16cc6e5862059c6bc22e9a90bf28a93d.jpeg.

Hey Prescott... Ahwatukee here... I got the same counter top LOL... houses must have been built by the same person.
Steak looks gooood....

As to the original post: You'll probably get instructions to wash, oil up, and fire-up before using to 'cure' the grate.
Go with confidence ( LUMP COAL !! )