Jump to content

Owly

Making my own heat deflector plate

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately a heat deflector plate did not come with my 10" Titan komodo... (10" grill size)........ nor does one seem to be available.   I searched the local suppliers for unglazed tile, and even the company that specialized in brick had nothing.   I've been considering a steel plate..... which I could torch out easily enough, but steel radiates heat pretty readily.  It would need to be two plates with separators between them to really work well....... and I may do that.

 

I'm also toying with simply buying some clay......... I'm hardly a potter, but it isn't rocket science.   5 lb of red terracotta low fire clay on Amazon is $16 with free shipping, and I'm thinking it could be air dried and then simply given time over a low charcoal fire, then ramped up to a higher temp, but never actually fired in the true sense...... more or less green fired if that is the term.....  

 

Has anybody done this?

 

                                                                                      H.W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 3:49 AM, Owly said:

Unfortunately a heat deflector plate did not come with my 10" Titan komodo... (10" grill size)........ nor does one seem to be available.   I searched the local suppliers for unglazed tile, and even the company that specialized in brick had nothing.   I've been considering a steel plate..... which I could torch out easily enough, but steel radiates heat pretty readily.  It would need to be two plates with separators between them to really work well....... and I may do that.

 

I'm also toying with simply buying some clay......... I'm hardly a potter, but it isn't rocket science.   5 lb of red terracotta low fire clay on Amazon is $16 with free shipping, and I'm thinking it could be air dried and then simply given time over a low charcoal fire, then ramped up to a higher temp, but never actually fired in the true sense...... more or less green fired if that is the term.....  

 

Has anybody done this?

 

                                                                                      H.W.

Not with clay I did it with asbestos free fire cement and some chicken wire for my DIY keg kamado and it worked well. 

 

 

Had a dish about the diameter I needed lined it with tinfoil put fire cement in and a piece of chicken wire to give it some strength then rammed in more fire cement on top. Baked it in the dish gently to set it then used it at increasing temperatures in the kamado. I will add a photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2019 at 3:49 AM, Owly said:

Unfortunately a heat deflector plate did not come with my 10" Titan komodo... (10" grill size)........ nor does one seem to be available.   I searched the local suppliers for unglazed tile, and even the company that specialized in brick had nothing.   I've been considering a steel plate..... which I could torch out easily enough, but steel radiates heat pretty readily.  It would need to be two plates with separators between them to really work well....... and I may do that.

 

I'm also toying with simply buying some clay......... I'm hardly a potter, but it isn't rocket science.   5 lb of red terracotta low fire clay on Amazon is $16 with free shipping, and I'm thinking it could be air dried and then simply given time over a low charcoal fire, then ramped up to a higher temp, but never actually fired in the true sense...... more or less green fired if that is the term.....  

 

Has anybody done this?

 

                                                                                      H.W.

 

IMG_20180428_113004.thumb.jpg.a38a6d40ea4cb9edf9f1a0af856b59ea.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2019 at 11:49 PM, Owly said:

Unfortunately a heat deflector plate did not come with my 10" Titan komodo... (10" grill size)........ nor does one seem to be available.   I searched the local suppliers for unglazed tile, and even the company that specialized in brick had nothing.   I've been considering a steel plate..... which I could torch out easily enough, but steel radiates heat pretty readily.  It would need to be two plates with separators between them to really work well....... and I may do that.

 

I'm also toying with simply buying some clay......... I'm hardly a potter, but it isn't rocket science.   5 lb of red terracotta low fire clay on Amazon is $16 with free shipping, and I'm thinking it could be air dried and then simply given time over a low charcoal fire, then ramped up to a higher temp, but never actually fired in the true sense...... more or less green fired if that is the term.....  

 

Has anybody done this?

 

                                                                                      H.W.

I've been using a round. stainless steel, cake baking pan and sand for years as a deflector. I put a couple of inches of clean playground sand (sold in 50  lb. bags at my local Lowes for less than $5.00) in the cake pan. The sand also absorbs the fat drippings and I just toss it out when I'm done.
I've never used a store bought deflector, so I can't compare...
It works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Rip said:

I've been using a round. stainless steel, cake baking pan and sand for years as a deflector. I put a couple of inches of clean playground sand (sold in 50  lb. bags at my local Lowes for less than $5.00) in the cake pan. The sand also absorbs the fat drippings and I just toss it out when I'm done.
I've never used a store bought deflector, so I can't compare...
It works for me.

 The problem is size..... this is a 10" grill (actual grill dimension), which means that the deflector cannot be much more than 6"....... I'm beginning to become aware the  liabilities of going small........ but I have no use for a large grill.    Today I plasma cut a 6" circle of 1/4" plate for a first try....... I'll use it tomorrow on a chuck that I did sous vide on already.... I want smoke, and low heat.

    I have many great and ambitious ideas..... unfortunately often the shortest distance between two points is the path I take....... too much to do!!   This afternoon I made up a stand for my porch, to raise the kombodo to working height...... I still hope to so something more elegant, but I  had a pile of glavanized steel plate, and 6x8 square tubing from a rebuild of guardrails....... Guess what.  I chopped a tube down to 30", and welded two plates....... top and bottom, punched 6 holes with the mag-drill so I could fasten the komodo down....... we see 80mph+ winds every year....... The whole project took about 2 hrs, and I'm not unrealistic enough to imagine that it will not remain my grilling platform for the next few years........ always too much to do!!

 

                                                   H.W.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ndg_2000 said:

Beautiful .... exactly what I want!!   I'm very impressed with your project!!!!      Reminds me of my crucible furnace......... I bought "plastic" refractory cement.......... which is merely a term for refractory cement that is already hydrated and about the texture of clay........ Great Stuff........ You ram it in place instead of pouring.   My refractory supplier is EJ Bartells..........and excellent company IMHO.

 

                                                          H.W.

 

 

9 hours ago, ndg_2000 said:

IMG_20180428_113004.thumb.jpg.a38a6d40ea4cb9edf9f1a0af856b59ea.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny you should say that that's where I got the idea from. Saw some YouTube videos of crucible furnaces so decided to make a kamado as I couldn't justify over £1000 on a grill; then eventually came across a Pitt Boss in Costco UK and bought one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m waiting on delivery of a 10” Titan and saw titangreatoutdoors.com sells a deflector for this unit $25 free S&H. Being and amateur I didn’t order it, but  will today. That said, I would love to see your stand as I was thinking of some ideas.

Cheers,

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a bit of useless information to anyone who wants to read it.  Heat deflectors do not need to perform any function other than place a barrier between your meat and the fire.  All you are doing with a heat deflector is changing the heating mode from radiant direct heat to convective indirect heat.  What they are made out of really makes no difference at all.  I have used pizza stones, pizza pans, aluminum foil pans, cookie sheets, and quite a few other things.  They have all worked just fine with no noticeable difference in results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ceramic Grill Store has an 10in stone, I purchased one as a pizza stone for my Joe Jr. But it's rated as a heat shield too!

 

Scott

10 Inch Round Ceramic Stone-$32.99

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received my 10” Titan yesterday and did some scrape searching today. I found an old  iron chair for $10 and cut the back off. I purchased one cedar dog ear fence post for $3 and built me a stand for this grill. I’m happy with the results. 

 

Cheers

29044360-5F3C-4C5C-844B-551A61091221.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...