Smokingdadbbq

Reverse seared ribeyes - steak challenge entry

2 minutes ago, ckreef said:

Definitely great pictures. I guess I fired the challenge up just in time. 

what luck lol ... it wasn’t cooked today the 5th so hopefully I can sneak in or else I will have to do it again lol 

2 hours ago, Smokingdadbbq said:

what luck lol ... it wasn’t cooked today the 5th so hopefully I can sneak in or else I will have to do it again lol 

Did you cook it this weekend? I only put the 5th because that was today. If you cooked it in the month of November then it counts. Unless you really just need an excuse to cook another tasty steak B)

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Did you cook it this weekend? I only put the 5th because that was today. If you cooked it in the month of November then it counts. Unless you really just need an excuse to cook another tasty steak B)

Ya all good. But it’s something I will be doing again anyways since I won’t make it until the end of the month without doing another steak cook lol 

Happy New Year Kamado Peeps.

I tried reversed searing over the holidays, only one time though as we have lots of total fire bans in Australia at the moment.

Got my local butcher to cut me a 2-inch-thick porter house. Applied some of my Christmas present rub ( KC Butt Rubb). Put her into the Akorn and let the internal rise slowly to 40C I was going for 50C but I like my cuts rare, so for 40C was spot on. Took about an hour to reach 40C then I let rest for 10 minutes or so while the Akorn got up to grilling temperature. I could not believe how nice the smokery flavour took to the meat over the hour, I used cherry wood.

I think this is the best way to cook steaks next Id like to try cooking from frozen and use the Akorn not an oven and I will try a T Bone and Rib Eye yours look good. reversed. I am still not sure about grill marks or not

Keep smoking

steak1.JPG

steak2.JPG

Hi Kamado People

I did my second reverse sear with a 2.5-inch-thick sirloin and the result was great. Applied a good rub/spice and brought internal up to 40C slowly about 40minutes this took and rested, followed by a quick high temp sear, now the taste is superb, and I reckon can’t be beat by the normal grilling method. However, I feel the steak needs to be more tender, comparing tenderness to normal thickness and grill, reverse searing the steak is not as tender as a standard 1inch steak would be grilled over hot coal and grill.

I will appreciate any tips, tricks or advise on improving tenderness?

Keep smoking

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG