Kamado Guru - John's Really Right Stuff List

11 hours ago, willys1 said:

Not sure about Rappica gloves, but I just got my grease monkey gloves and they are are awesome for handling food and general heat protection. Very flexible and good fit. Not sure if I could hang onto to a CI pan at 700 degrees, but don’t plan on using them for that. 

Thanks for the recommendation, John!

They are definitely not suitable for hot pans or hot metal... just hot food.

4 hours ago, Tarnation said:

Even my welding gloves can't stand screaming hot cast iron for more than a few seconds.

I purchased these https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00ZORPCGG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 right around the time I got my KJ and I have handled an 800F pizza stone with them (for not more than 5-8 seconds) and they seem to do the trick.

What I have noticed though is that they are not quite as effective today as they were when I first got them, which leads me to believe their heat resistance is fading.  They are allegedly rated for 500C (which is over 900 F).  Overall, I am quite happy with them.  

• 6 months later...

Thank you for the tips.

One question I have as you mention you own  kich ash baskets ,  would you recommend one of those above the Kamado Joe  baskets.

I have only just purchased a Masterbuilt Kamado not yet fired up. I believe I'll need a classic size. 

Here in UK I can get the kamado joe basket for £75 . Kick ash (£?) and Ynni (£57)  are both out of stock at present. 

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, Andyg156 said:

Thank you for the tips.

One question I have as you mention you own  kich ash baskets ,  would you recommend one of those above the Kamado Joe  baskets.

I have only just purchased a Masterbuilt Kamado not yet fired up. I believe I'll need a classic size. 

Here in UK I can get the kamado joe basket for £75 . Kick ash (£?) and Ynni (£57)  are both out of stock at present. 

Thanks 

I prefer the KJ baskets if you are using the KJ Divide & Conquer system.  

Thank you John. I better get that ordered now before they too get snapped up down to single numbers already.

D&C is on my list too, struggling to find any in stock over here.

Now for some gloves research.

Thanks again

• 2 months later...

Hi John,

I ordered the Grease Monkey gloves that you recommended.  I just received them on Monday and was concerned by the strong chemical smell that was coming from them.  Do you wash them in a washing machine before using?  Also, I washed them under running water when I was done with food & grill prep and the red fabric of the gloves got stained from the black portion of the gloves.  Have you experienced any of these problems?

Thanks,

Pablo

16 minutes ago, social assassin said:

Hi John,

I ordered the Grease Monkey gloves that you recommended.  I just received them on Monday and was concerned by the strong chemical smell that was coming from them.  Do you wash them in a washing machine before using?  Also, I washed them under running water when I was done with food & grill prep and the red fabric of the gloves got stained from the black portion of the gloves.  Have you experienced any of these problems?

Thanks,

Pablo

I haven't noticed either.  I just opened a new pack of these today.  I don't smell anything but if you do you should wash them first.  

13 minutes ago, Dogstar said:

John, I'm wondering if you would choose to add the new Fireboard 2 controller on your list of "really right stuff"?

I probably will.  I haven't modified the list lately and there are a few new things I need to add.  I am still totally happy with the Fireboard 2 Drive.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...