Saw a most interesting truck this morning

keeperovdeflame

Just another Ram truck like mine, but what caught my attention was that the entire outer surfaces of the truck including bumpers, steps, and the trim and badging logos, was painted with what looked like a black textured rubber or latex coating. It looked like the stuff they use when applying a bed liner. Very neat, and professional looking job every surface was evenly covered. It almost looked like the dipped the entire truck.  Tough indestructible looking truck. Is this a thing? I have never seen it done before.

IMG_0723.thumb.jpeg.9e49abdb6c9ceaffe6249f6598d262f7.jpeg

IMG_0724.thumb.jpeg.363b96c760542942619d01f7be0c5ec3.jpeg

Looks like people started trying this a few years ago:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/07/28/line-x-rhino-coatings-bedliner/2588539/

Pickup owners spray the whole truck with bedliner plastic
Chris Woodyard

USA TODAY

ANAHEIM, Calif. — If you're going to spray the bed of your shiny new pickup truck with a thick coat of protective plastic, why stop there?

The spray-in bedliner industry is starting to find a new business opportunity among pickup owners who are having the whole truck covered in the vinyl-like substance, not just the cargo box.

For years, aftermarket bedliner services occupied a nice little corner of the automotive business, offering pure practicality — a coating that protects pickup beds from dings and scratches. Now it finds itself on the cutting edge of car fashion among owners who want to take the macho appearance to the extreme.

"I like the overall look, the ruggedness," says Jesus Aguiniga of Whittier, Calif., as he watches his 2010 Toyota Tundra getting sprayed nose to tailgate in bedliner material at a Line-X Protective Coatings franchisee here, one of many shops around the country that specialize in spraying on bedliners.

The trend is still fairly young. Line-X spokeswoman Cristin Liveoak says its franchisees around the country report that they're getting sporadic requests for a total body spray job. The "craze" hasn't been as much of a surprise as it as been "a natural progression" of the bedliner business.

The process doesn't come cheap, however. The total body spray's cost at Line-X varies, ranging generally from $3,000 to $5,000. That compares with $450 to $550 for a standard bedliner spray, Liveoak said. 

Well, what do you know:) Never have seen a truck done like this before. Actually the truck I saw looked pretty cool. It was set up for off road. I have a spray in Rino bed liner and can testify that the coating is amazingly tough. I fire wise my property every other year and fill my bed to the max with rough cut native vegetation. Dirty, scratchy, stuff but just a quick hose down and the bed looks like new. I can easily see the motivation to do this. Besides it gives the truck a cool  mad max zombie apocalypse kind of look. thanks for the info. My wife, however,  would never go for it. 

I’ve seen a number of trucks here with the bottom half done. Some of what I have seen was very dull looking and not an attractive look against shiny paint. Can’t say I’ve seen one that looks sharp. Perhaps a full spray looks better. My concern would be some bedliner looks, and wears, better than others. 

I got a bit excessive with clear bra on my Suburban and truck doing full fronts and all the way down each side from side trim down and around the rear bumper and hatch on my Suburban as well.  It wasn’t cheap, but looking at paint chip patterns on vehicles, I thought this was my best bet...  The shop had never had anyone request this before, but I’m pretty anal about my vehicles.

And at this point, 12 years later, I’m thinking to myself I either shouldn’t have bothered or done the whole thing since my clear coat gave up the ghost...

2977A2F0-06BC-44AC-89CE-3690C712FFAD.thumb.jpeg.ec68f411c41788c44c841b4fddf16b0b.jpeg

I guess I could bedliner it at this point... ;)

A buddy of mine has a Jeep that’s been completely sprayed with bedliner, while it’s not my thing, to each their own, it’s far less annoying than some of the current truck trends like the Carolina squat. 

18 hours ago, KismetKamado said:

I guess I could bedliner it at this point... ;)

The truck I saw, was actually quite  attractive in a zombie apocalypse sort of way. The liner had a shiny moist look to it, and had an attractive even texture. The paint job it self looked highly professional and flawless, from what I could see anyway. Every surface of the truck was covered even including the housings around the side mirrors, door handles, and license plate frame. I forget what it cost to install a Rino coating in my truck bed,  but I remember it was not at all cheap. So a full truck job, I am guessing could be equal to a custom paint job. When I was a high school principal my auto shop teacher was on the drag racing funny car circuit. The paint job on his race car, he said, was over $15,000.00. It was a nice looking paint job, but sheeeeeez that's a bunch of coin for paint.  

I was going to say “that's a wrap isn't it”?  But Chasdev beat me to it.  I follow a car to work almost every day that is a really unique colour but it appears to be a flat finish, clear vinyl wrap.  I think it's stunning.

3 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

I was going to say “that's a wrap isn't it”?  But Chasdev beat me to it.  I follow a car to work almost every day that is a really unique colour but it appears to be a flat finish, clear vinyl wrap.  I think it's stunning.

This was probably almost 20 yrs ago. It was not a wrap but an old school paint job actually done by the company owned by my neighbor called Kelly and Sons in So Cal, they specialized in  high end paint jobs on race cars, show cars, and for famous folk who didn't mind spending big bucks.. 

I have seen a few of these running around here in Va Beach and got to admit I liked the sublime look. Coatings etc have come along way.

Even in the motorhome world you can get a Vortex coating on your front end cap which is much like a Rhino spray in bed liner but tougher. They can even match color and graphics. Seen this process on motorhomes twice. Once on a big money Newell and on a Ithasca Meridien. The later had it applied prior to his Alaska excursion and the front end looked pristine upon completion.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Dub said:

One of the owners of my favorite local gun shop has his 4-door Jeep completely "painted" with the bedlinen material.

It looks great.  He loves it.

Doncha just love autocorrect?  :LOL

If he has bedlinen on his truck he has to turn in his man card!!