wallawu

Cast iron smoothing

12 minutes ago, wallawu said:

I cooked bacon on it today because I'm an impatient person. It's a lot easier to clean, but I won't be using the chain metal to do it anymore. It scratched the seasoning. I'll be cooking fatty meats and oily foods exclusively for awhile. Nothing with tomatoes like @Chris Topher suggested with acidic foods. That'll be in the other one.

If the seasoning is scratching, it might not be adequately "cooked" on

1 hour ago, Rip said:

In my opinion, if one has the patience and the taste for it,  making cornbread is one of the easiest, most sure-fire and rewarding ways to put the finishing touches on a CI skillet.

I'll have to try that for a good even base seasoning.  Sounds promising.  I've been using fried potatoes.  I crank up the heat and keep throwing in potatoes cubes until they are good and crispy (overly cooked for eating - almost burnt).  Then scrub pan and repeat a few times.

45 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

I'll have to try that for a good even base seasoning.  Sounds promising.  I've been using fried potatoes.  I crank up the heat and keep throwing in potatoes cubes until they are good and crispy (overly cooked for eating - almost burnt).  Then scrub pan and repeat a few times.

001.JPG

On 11/9/2019 at 10:12 PM, SmallBBQr said:

i can scrub with chainmail and the seasoning on mine doesn't mark up at all.  You likely aren't getting a true bond.  I stovetop season my cast iron and steel pans.

I've been doing it on the stove with flaxseed oil, but I also did it twice in the oven to get the edges better. 450 may not be hot enough? I figured it needed quite a few times before it got a tough season on it.

It could be the temperature.....on the stovetop, the pan is likely quite likely to be in the 550 - 600 range I would guess from past temp readings.  I've done some oven seasoning in the past and my (gas) oven was at 550 doing it...

4 hours ago, wallawu said:

I've been doing it on the stove with flaxseed oil, but I also did it twice in the oven to get the edges better. 450 may not be hot enough? I figured it needed quite a few times before it got a tough season on it.

This article describes supposed science behind using flax seed oil for cast iron seasoning http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I have read that flax-based seasoning is subject to flaking. I'm no expert and can't really comment, just reporting what I've heard about this technique.

As far as stove top seasoning, I think you'd get better results in the oven. Cast iron is not a particularly good heat conductor, so, depending on your stove, you might get hot and cold spots and therefore uneven seasoning.

The technique I have used is heat oven to 400*F, slather oil (I have used flax, crisco, and crisbee) over the entire exterior surface, wipe it all off until it looks like there is no oil left (this is important, you want the Uber-thinnest coating), bake (upside down to avoid any oil pooling) for about an hour, turn oven off, letting the cast iron cool in the oven. Repeat as desired.

If you use crisbee, you have to pre-heat the cast iron to melt the crisbee (which is basically crisco and bees wax, I believe)

4 hours ago, Chris Topher said:

As far as stove top seasoning, I think you'd get better results in the oven. Cast iron is not a particularly good heat conductor, so, depending on your stove, you might get hot and cold spots and therefore uneven seasoning.

Cast iron not being a good conductor is true in a "scientific" sense, but put a cast iron pan over medium-high heat and let it heat up a while, and every surface of the entire thing will be more than hot enough to season in no time...  You are NOT going to have cool spots.  Maybe "cooler" spots, but don't think that matters.  All balances out in the end.

I'm sure if your goal is to get the perfect "YouTube" seasoned pan first time on every surface, an oven is a great way to go.  My cast iron is used almost daily, and from sanded smooth bare metal to completely seasoned on every surface does not take very long.  Nothing special done...just cook.  It often goes into the Keg, burns off bottom seasoning, and frying in it again a couple times puts it back...don't really think too about it much.  It's dark, shiny, and incredibly resilient and non-stick.  It also goes into a sink of water now and then, I use soap on it (hate the fish taste residue!!) etc.  Pretty well ignore every cast iron "rule" out there. It was my parents, and not sure where they got it, but it's at least 60 years old...

My only complaint with this pan is that the middle is slightly raised over the edges.  I think this is from being scrubbed about a million times so the metal has worn down around the outside, but not in the centre.  The outside/bottom is perfectly flat, so it's not bowed....I need to get out a grinder and wear down the middle a bit.

pan.thumb.jpg.f9dfcae1a8c61874964adf3f132b5ed5.jpg

This was similar to my Blackstone griddle seasoning.  Had a beautiful look to it after seasoning it 6 times, letting it smoke, turning it off to cool once there was no more smoke, and doing it all over again.  Smooth and not sticky.  First cook the bacon stuck to it.  Disappointing, but after cooking greasy burgers on it a few times, no more sticking.  That's probably what I'll do in this.

I’ve had the normal Lodge cast iron pans for about 13 years and they works great. I think I’ve only re-seasoned it once and that was because my ex used to coat it too heavy with oil and it went rancid. I used crisco to season after that. 

I cook all kinds of eggs in all kids of way with it every weekend. Love them!