Finished my table build

Smokingdadbbq

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/10/2019 at 7:07 PM, Smokingdadbbq said:

7EE8AEEB-58F4-4A38-A01D-E5079B24A0C5.jpeg

Hey curious how you feel about the double KJ Classic setup? I Cook for 2-6 people at least 4 times a week. Regularly a larger crowd for special sporting events and such. Waiting on the new house to be finished and I am wanting to do a table build. I would love your feedback on a Double classic set up vs a big Joe and a Joe Jr. I am also considering a Blackstone and a big Joe. Some of my regular cooks are pizza, fajitas, tri tip, spatchcock chicken, burgers, and smoked pork. (don't do much ribs and brisket) I currently have a large egg and I need more real estate at times for entertaining or just simply cooking everything outside in one place. I have some awesome backyard plans so I know the grill will probably get even more use. My only concern about the Big Joe is hot spots. 

10 hours ago, ryanpk2016 said:

Hey curious how you feel about the double KJ Classic setup? I Cook for 2-6 people at least 4 times a week. Regularly a larger crowd for special sporting events and such. Waiting on the new house to be finished and I am wanting to do a table build. I would love your feedback on a Double classic set up vs a big Joe and a Joe Jr. I am also considering a Blackstone and a big Joe. Some of my regular cooks are pizza, fajitas, tri tip, spatchcock chicken, burgers, and smoked pork. (don't do much ribs and brisket) I currently have a large egg and I need more real estate at times for entertaining or just simply cooking everything outside in one place. I have some awesome backyard plans so I know the grill will probably get even more use. My only concern about the Big Joe is hot spots. 

Thanks for the question, its a good one.  My previous setup I had a Large Egg and a MiniMax Egg as the thinking was I could have a larger grill for parties and a smaller more energy efficient kamado for mid week cooks.  While this is true, what inevitably happened is I needed bespoke accessories for each grill that wouldn't work on the other... cast iron cookware, grids, ash baskets, half moons, vent caps, temp controllers etc. that work for one didn't work on the other.  PLUS, for parties where I needed lots of ribs, brisket or chicken I didn't have the space (and this was with CGS multi tier kit on both).

The Kamado Joe Classic 3(s) that I have here have half baskets and are pretty efficient for mid week cooks, plus for large parties I can swap accessories between them and or cook enough ribs or brisket etc. to feed everyone.  

I have two cast iron half moons that create a solid 18" griddle surface on one kamado leaving the other free to do something different.  I like the idea of a blackstone a lot but that didn't give me enough room for ribs or briskets.

I wouldn't be concerned about hot spots on the big joe 3.  If its anything like my Classic 3's its a convection monster especially with the SloRoller. 

2 hours ago, Smokingdadbbq said:

Thanks for the question, its a good one.  My previous setup I had a Large Egg and a MiniMax Egg as the thinking was I could have a larger grill for parties and a smaller more energy efficient kamado for mid week cooks.  While this is true, what inevitably happened is I needed bespoke accessories for each grill that wouldn't work on the other... cast iron cookware, grids, ash baskets, half moons, vent caps, temp controllers etc. that work for one didn't work on the other.  PLUS, for parties where I needed lots of ribs, brisket or chicken I didn't have the space (and this was with CGS multi tier kit on both).

The Kamado Joe Classic 3(s) that I have here have half baskets and are pretty efficient for mid week cooks, plus for large parties I can swap accessories between them and or cook enough ribs or brisket etc. to feed everyone.  

I have two cast iron half moons that create a solid 18" griddle surface on one kamado leaving the other free to do something different.  I like the idea of a blackstone a lot but that didn't give me enough room for ribs or briskets.

I wouldn't be concerned about hot spots on the big joe 3.  If its anything like my Classic 3's its a convection monster especially with the SloRoller. 

So you like having two full size grills to for example have chicken on pork on the other? Also do you ever wish you had the big Joe because it seems you have two classics and the junior? I have a Traeger at my disposal which made the junior interesting to me. Also any tips for table building or did you have it built for you? 

1 hour ago, ryanpk2016 said:

So you like having two full size grills to for example have chicken on pork on the other? Also do you ever wish you had the big Joe because it seems you have two classics and the junior? I have a Traeger at my disposal which made the junior interesting to me. Also any tips for table building or did you have it built for you? 

Great question.  Yes I love having two the same size since I can interchange my JoeTisserie, or if I get the DoeJoe etc. between the two grills.  I can do 6 racks on each so there are seldom occasions where 12 racks of ribs, two briskets or getting upwards of 100lbs of pulled pork isn't enough for the types of parties we host lol.

I love having the Joe Jr.  It fits a whole spatchcock chicken no problem, 8lbs pork shoulder or chuck roast and a ton of other mid week cooks.

I built the table myself, its a much easier project than it looks.  I made a video hoping that I might someday be asked that question lol, enclosed is the how to time lapse and hints to build something like what I did here. 

Do you know by chance if through a dealer you can get a KJ3 stand alone? Also I watched the video and never heard you mention the length, do you mind telling me how long it is? Also the idea and you doing the concrete counter is super cool and gave me a whole new desire to do the project myself.  

7 minutes ago, ryanpk2016 said:

Do you know by chance if through a dealer you can get a KJ3 stand alone? Also I watched the video and never heard you mention the length, do you mind telling me how long it is? Also the idea and you doing the concrete counter is super cool and gave me a whole new desire to do the project myself.  

not sure if you can now. I know for warranty you can as a member sold one on here not to long ago but when I bought my last one I had to get it with the cart even though I was already planning the table. I think I can sell it however to gen 1 and 2 folks who want an upgrade. 

its 79” long on the concrete. 77 on the table so there is some overhang. This is only because of the space between the posts in my deck