Thoughts on this turkey cook.  I cooked the turkey for 1 hour low and slow with some hickory chunks to get a good smoke profile before pumping the temp up to 325 for 2 hours, total cook time was exactly 3 hours.  The smoke profile was excellent and exactly what I was hoping for, might play with different woods in the future to mix up the taste, turkey does seem to soak that flavor up. 

I cooked an 18lb Butterball turkey that according to the package was pre-brined in 8% solution.  I did not do any additional brine.  I injected the turkey with Zatarains Cajun Injector Creole Butter.  I rubbed the skin with butter and sprinkled some salt free seasonings all over, random mix of Mrs. Dash stuff I had in the cabinet.  That was all fine and tasty.  The turkey was good, but the white meat was a little on the dry side (it's hard to keep white meat perfectly moist gravy helps).  I'm thinking next time I will use a water pan to pump up the moisture in the Akorn.  The skin didn't really crisp like I was hoping, I don't know if ramping up the temp to 425 in the last half hour might help with that, might experiment on a chicken some time.

I would love to hear some thoughts and ideas.  I didn't stuff the turkey with anything, I know some people like to throw some orange slices and apple slices in there.  Don't know what affect that might have. 

Everyone agreed that the flavor was excellent.

If you don't use a water pan at least put a drip pan in there.  My Akorn is disgusting right now from all the stuff that dripped out of that turkey and on to the diffuser stone.  Didn't occur to me to use one like I do with my pork butts.  I thought for some reason the drippings would be less, I was wrong.  Need to do a hot clean burn before I cook anything else in there.

• 2 weeks later...

After my initial bird here I did my second bird of the season today.  I did some things differently this time to stellar results.  I injected way more of the creole butter this time, basically 2/3rds of a jar.  That's all I had left from the last one.  If I do another one the entire jar is going in the bird.  I put in a drip pan with the neck and gibblets in it to make gravy with.  I started the bird at a lower temperature 235-240 so the outside wouldn't cook as fast, 1hr at that temperature.  Ramped the temperature up to 300 after that and pretty much kept it there the whole time.  It was a smaller bird so total cook time was 2.5hrsish. The first bird was good, but this one was so much better, way more moist.  I didn't take any pics this time, but the skin didn't end up quite as mahogany this time.  I can't recommend putting as much injection as the turkey will handle and the water pan more, the results are so much better.

Meathead's ideas at amazingribs.com have been very helpful for me. Sounds like you are getting it dialed in. 

I will always use a water or gravy pan for low and slow since the only time I didn't use one some boneless beef ribs came out dry. 

I have done one each turkey whole and spatchcocked. I am spatching this year after bringing we'll see. 

I have cooked them close to 350 for the entire cook. 

Just what I, personally, have found with poultry in order to get a nice crisp skin.  Everything from chooks to turkey to wings and wildfowl.  Make sure it is REALLY DRY before roasting or grilling.  Just patting really dry with a paper towel before going on the grill helps, but letting it sit in the reefer overnight uncovered is WAY better. 

Ramping up the heat at the end only makes the already heat toughened skin tougher, not crisper.  At least that's what I have found.  YMMV.

Tom

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Tom_V
      First cook on Joetissorie on the Akorn, and yes it fits perfect! I used a combination rub of KC's and Dinasour BBQ Cajun Foreplay. (Dinasour BBQ is the BEST BBQ restaurant in NY State) I also made a paste with same ingredients and rubbed under breast skin and inside cavity. Akorn running at 400-425 deg. Amazing flavor!

• By Cranky1
      Hi all,
      Just got an Akorn 16820 and mother nature decided to go all cool and wet on me. Looking forward to trying this thing out.
    • By Millerb7
      So I have myself an Akorn for about 4 years. Through a couple moves while building a new house, it was pretty neglected... sat outside, uncovered through winter, rain, etc. Needless to say due to the metal build, it rusted something bad. I ended up getting rid of it and decided I'd see what the Weber Kettle hype was all about. I picked myself up Kettle Master Touch.......... wow...

I freaking hated it. Was horrible to keep temps. Took forever to get up to temp. Was terrible to use with lump (as it fell through the grates)... just a bad overall experience. Cooked on it about 4 times then sold it. Now... I live in a VERY windy area. Like 10-15 mph winds almost constantly.... so I'm sure that played a part... but it was no enjoyable.

I decided to pick myself up a new Kamado Joe Classic from Lowes for $650..... I'm in love.
    • By Tarnation
      I joined this forum last year not long after getting my Char Griller Akorn used.  I love that little steel beauty, but I've had ceramic fever and been seeing them all over the place the past year.  Costco was about to have me parting with $600 for the Louisiana Grills 24" Kamado (just another rebranded Auplex like Vision), but my dad who works for a hardware store told me the owner wanted to sell off the stores XL Egg since they didn't really use it.  I got what I think is a great deal on this beauty, paid less for this than you would for a stripped out XL with no accessories and definitely less than a Costco roadshow Big Joe.  Came with the table, ConvEggtor, ash tool, and grate gripper.  They couldn't locate the ceramic cap when we brought it home, but I'm sure it'll turn up.  It's under an awning anyway and I'll be getting a cover to further protect it.  

To be fair to the Akorn it is a fantastic cooker!  Just since the apocalypse started, I've done at least one decent cook a week on it.  I've done ribs at least 3 times, pork butt, brisket, a turkey, soda can chickens, wings, steaks, and various veggies for sides.  I absolutely do not regret the Akorn purchase.  If you're unsure if kamado bbqing is right for you the Akorn is a fantastic place to start, it's relatively cheap and a good design.  I've been eyeballing the extra space the  Big Joe and the XL Egg offer and ultimately couldn't resist.  Just judging by my short not even 1 year of ownership I doubt my Egg will cook any better than the Akorn.  This was purely a decision based on the total cooking surface and potential cooking surface with mods.  I've done 3 racks of ribs on my Akorn before, but it gets tight and those were baby backs no easy way to get that many spare rib racks on there.  2 upright soda can (beer can) chickens really pushes the limit with my probes contacting the dome.  

TLDR; just wanted to brag on my Eggscellent deal and write a love letter to my Akorn.  I'm hoping this will be the last grill I ever have to buy, not saying I won't want to buy more, but this should be with me a long long time.  I wish I could keep the Akorn, but I have 3 grills now and between the 22" Weber Kettle and the Akorn, I can probably get more for the used Akorn.  If you're in the market for a well used Akorn, but still in fine cooking shape and you're in the Jacksonville, FL area, hit me up.

• By JohnnyAppetizer
      Shelter in place turkey