Sign in to follow this  
Rob_grill_apprentice

Rosemary roasted potato bread - Test run successful

Rosemary roasted potato bread - test run successful.    Hydration 61%, fresh rosemary at 1 %, hard red spring whole wheat flour at 15%,  Hard white wheat artesian flour at 85%, roasted potatoes at 25%.  Taste is very nice, rosemary not overpowering,   Might try again at 2% later next year.    Still need to improve my shaping so line in bottom not visible.   If this was entered in to bread baking contest I would lose some points.  Everything else would score decently. This is another success as far as I am concerned for taste, crumb, texture and moisture.  

Temperature outside was -9C,   Made sure final dough temperature after final kneading at 75 F.

C60F62C3-C274-41BD-A4F1-F7C663BFE920.jpeg

001F2702-3037-461D-99EE-9F6E8C310202.jpeg

CD611733-A76C-4A0C-A827-4FC2DF45DF50.jpeg

12512A09-EF85-4D31-9708-3165D50EF5B0.jpeg

F9A572BC-7105-44FB-9E92-484B0C728D20.jpeg

A0DDB201-18DA-4845-9A35-3F855A38467C.jpeg

3BE982B7-AA92-4830-9B2B-9986E74B7DD8.jpeg

5C2C84E2-3861-4AB6-B088-B2113DDA1E71.jpeg

14EA72D0-F9E0-4B2F-A20E-BE529C96C7A3.jpeg

1 hour ago, JeffieBoy said:

That looks like a good result!  I have never done bread in the Akorn because my wife “doesn't like everything with a smoky flavour”.  How does the wood smoke affect the flavour in this case?

I wouldn't imagine that bread to taste smokey.

When I bake in my Egg I use straight lump and do not put the dough on my stone until I have consistent thin blue grey smoke. I never get smokey tasting bread. Some of the best bread I ever tasted was made in a hot shepherds oven over oak wood,  out behind a winery in Healdsburg Calif. no smokey taste there either.  Fresh baked warm bread, a chunk of good cheese, and a glass of wine.  Good Stuff

2 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

That looks like a good result!  I have never done bread in the Akorn because my wife “doesn't like everything with a smoky flavour”.  How does the wood smoke affect the flavour in this case?

The is no Smokey flavour.  I light my Kamado up 1.2 to 1.5 hours before I plan to bake to ensure Kamado is heat soaked for my desired baking temperature.     

One year I put smoking wood on for smoke and I will never do bread that way again because smoke taste was so strong,   

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Rob_grill_apprentice
      Semolina bread with whole-grain soaker test run was successful.   This used a Poolish and when Poolish was ripe I made the dough.   The whole grain were soaked in boiling water and kept at room temp for 4 hours,   Crumb, texture and taste very good.    For darker outside colour I should have baked at 30F hotter than I did.   I was at 400 F and should had been at 430 to 450 F.    Still happy with result based on taste this bread would make very good sandwich bread.   This is definitely a keeper recipe. 

Cracked Wheat Bread-test run successful.    This bread tastes very good.  It was made using hard white wheat artesian untreated flour, hard red spring wheat fresh ground, cracked wheat and malt syrup.  Pate Fermentee yeasted pre-ferment was made.  Cracked wheat made into soaker.  It was a 75 % hydration dough.  

Test run making Five-Grain Bread with Pate Fermentee.    Taste is very good.   I thought I had sunflower seeds but I didn’t so I used toasted sesame seeds in place of sunflower seeds.  Happy with result.   No picture of brotform loaf because I used expansion rack on Kamado and temperature gauge punctured one end of the loaf so appearance not nice.   With baking loafs I shouldn’t use expansion rack.  Small loaf baked on main rack. 

Brown Rice bread, test run.  Happy with taste, crumb and texture. I should have stopped at 30 minutes instead I took off after 38 minutes.  Bottom of both loaves charred.  This is tasty recipe.  If I hadn’t charred bottom it would have been perfect.  Outside temperatures-28 C.   Recipe is keeper.   I like the taste of the bread. 

Test run on Whole-Wheat Bread with multigrain soaker was very successful.  Bread has very nice flavour and slight crunch.    If my two boys like the taste it will become a regular family recipe.  Enjoy the photos.