cwhuling

Porchetta Rotisserie guidance

This Christmas I was thinking I would try a Porchetta.  I have watched several videos and things look straight forward for preparing the pork belly.  I was wondering about a drip pan while rotissereing the porchetta?  I have done pork belly in other forms and have always used a drip pan to keep the grease from the fire, but I have not seen any examples in the videos of someone using a drip pan?

Also, if anyone has any other advice on a Porchetta please share! 

Following this thread, costco had bellies on sale the other week and i picked up two, and split them in half, with this in mind for at least one of them

Also just following, but I will say I don't see where the drip pan is necessary. Just move the coals out of the center. I'm new with my Joetisserie, but with chicken at 350 I bank the coals to the back, and with al pastor at 500 I banked to the front and back leaving room in the middle for drippings. It did not make a mess of my grill. Seems like a drip pan would just give you a pool of grease that could catch fire.

Porchetta is on my list but I don't know the cooking temp.

I made a Porchetta for Christmas dinner.

I used a simple recipe of garlic, fennel salt, fresh black pepper, orange zest, rosemary, thyme and sage.  A coworker of mine had made one previously and commented that he felt he went too light on the orange zest and would have increased it if he did It again.   Using his measurement of 4 oranges, I zested 6.   I butterflied the pork belly, and cut down the pork loin by about a third.  I was able to roll up the whole roast then and made fairly good pin wheels of the rolls.  I started the project on the 23rd, and left it uncovered on a rack in the fridge until the morning of the 25th.  I pulled it out and allowed it to get to room temperature while I got the grill going.  I started it with smoke at 280-300 for roughly 2 hours, then increased the temp to 350/400 for another 2-3 hours.  Many of the recipes I found said to cook until I reached an IT of 160-180.  That sounded very high to me, but I went with 150.

While the roast looked great (I really need to work on the butchers knots and trussing), the internal loin was dry, and I should have used my better judgement of an IT of 145-150.  The flavor in the pork belly was really good, but the loin was rather flat.  I think I should have used more of the salt and pepper on that and maybe even brine the loin before hand?  Next time I try this roast, I will experiment with the loin.  All in all, the family liked it, and I have a decent amount of left overs to try the cutting up for sandwiches.  

IMG_1504.jpeg

IMG_5275.jpeg

IMG_5342.jpeg

IMG_5278.jpeg

IMG_5334.jpeg

IMG_5343.jpeg