pr0wlunwoof

New Vision S - series...

So I pulled the trigger on a  Vision S-Series  after going to a Kamado demo. I got the grill, electric starter, and the deflector stone.

My want for this grill is to do hot and fast, searing, reverse searing, and pizza. So any discussion related to that would be greatly welcomed. I am still in the market for accessories so if you got something I gotta have lemme know that too. 

Let the fun begin!

Got it in and together. One of the shelfs is broken in shipment so I have contacted vision to get it replaced. Currently burning it out. I can see the ash drawer is not a 100% seal, but I got the felt to fix it. All in if they send me a new a new shelf it meets expectations.

20191118_195607.jpg

20191118_200727.jpg

20191118_200802.jpg

Note just now from vision customer service -- 

We are processing your order now for a replacement side shelf and it should arrive within the next 5-6 business days. If you ever have any more questions about your order status, please feel free to reach out to us and we’ll do our best to provide you with information.

Best,

That's a very nice and highly capable grill. I learned to kamado cook on a Vision Pro C which is pretty much identical to your Pro S except for the configuration of the vent knobs and that it has a rounded housing around the ash drawer assembly instead of the square housing on your S. Other than that they are the same grill. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about leaks around the ash drawer assembly, mine leaked a bit from day one, but that did not limit the grills ability to hold temps for low and slow and moderate heat cooks as well. I cooked on my Vision probably 3 to 4 times a  week for close to five years without any major issues. Like I said it was a great grill. I set my Vision up with a CGS Vision  AR Spider Combo rig, and I can highly recommend that as well. With the AR my Vision was a versatile cooking machine. Enjoy your new grill. I like the new color.

Yeah I have lit it every day this week. The charcoal snuffs out pretty well when i shut it down so I am no longer worried about the possible air leaks. If I ever take the firebox out I might adjust the ash tray rails, but not getting in a hurry to do that. I am going to cook a take and bake pizza tonight so I'm hoping for a good experience. 

So far I have gotten the lava stone, wok, and had some metal deflector plates to play with. I have some cast iron things I can play with  so I am going to put off investing any more money until I spend some time with it. 

So far I am happy with the purchase. Wok should be here today so I'm thinking shrimp stir fry tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

That's a very nice and highly capable grill. I learned to kamado cook on a Vision Pro C which is pretty much identical to your Pro S except for the configuration of the vent knobs and that it has a rounded housing around the ash drawer assembly instead of the square housing on your S. Other than that they are the same grill. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about leaks around the ash drawer assembly, mine leaked a bit from day one, but that did not limit the grills ability to hold temps for low and slow and moderate heat cooks as well. I cooked on my Vision probably 3 to 4 times a  week for close to five years without any major issues. Like I said it was a great grill. I set my Vision up with a CGS Vision  AR Spider Combo rig, and I can highly recommend that as well. With the AR my Vision was a versatile cooking machine. Enjoy your new grill. I like the new color.

What do you cook on now?

21 hours ago, pr0wlunwoof said:

What do you cook on now?

I liked the Vision Pro C, but the more I got into kamado cooking the more I wanted a traditional old school  bottom slide vent kamado. I looked for a traditional  kamado that would accommodate the Vision AR Spider combo I had purchased and found that only the BGE Large would do the trick. So I picked up a BGE and have been extremely happy with it. Interesting that the Vision B and Pro series are pretty much identical in size and dome tapper to a BGE Large. I can tell you from experience that all the accessories associated with both will work in both. 

I'd say that a crack in that location is pretty much "normal'. Happening in a week is certainly a short time.

However, I  have a Pro S with an almost identical crack. Not sure how long I had the grill before it occurred.

Be that as it may be, that crack has existed for more than a year on mine with no adverse effects whatsoever. I cook low and slow, grill in the 400 degree range and also sear at 600 degrees plus. No problems.

GaTom

17 hours ago, GATom said:

I'd say that a crack in that location is pretty much "normal'. Happening in a week is certainly a short time.

However, I  have a Pro S with an almost identical crack. Not sure how long I had the grill before it occurred.

Be that as it may be, that crack has existed for more than a year on mine with no adverse effects whatsoever. I cook low and slow, grill in the 400 degree range and also sear at 600 degrees plus. No problems.

GaTom

Thanks GaTom. I figured it was somewhat normal.