pr0wlunwoof

New Vision S - series...

On the crack, I have one similar in my Large BGE, even though BGE replaced my fire box after I sent them a pic, I continue to cook on the cracked one. I will continue to do so as long as my fire box holds together and when it falls apart when I move it to clean,  I will use the new one. Having seen numerous posts on this topic, I can pretty much quote by heart Vision's normal response to cracked fire boxes. "The purpose of a fire box is to hold charcoal, when the small crack in  your fire box causes it to  no longer perform this purpose, Vision will replace it"  However a week  is a really short time, the crack in my Egg appeared in its 5th year. Vision could, because of the short time you have had the grill, replace yours as well. 

On the cloudy thermometer,  I experienced the same thing with the dome thermometer on my Vision, I called Vision, sent them a pic, and they sent me a new one. However, if you turn your kitchen oven on low and put your thermometer in it your thermometer will clear in just over an hour.  Happy Cooking. 

Pretty copy paste response about my issues. They are sending me a new thermometer, pretty much wait and see on everything else:

We are processing your order now for a repalcement thermometer and it should arrive within the next 3-5 business days. If you ever have any more questions about your order status, please feel free to reach out to us and we’ll do our best to provide you with information.

If you contacted us first about the prozone issue, we would have responded and said:

“This is not an uncommon issue since the grill is brand new. We do suggest that you grill on the grill a few weeks to allow creosote/flavor to build up, that will act as a sealant for your grill. It usually takes about 5-6 uses before the creosote is built and these 5-6 uses will get you closer to mastering the Kamado in your environment (weather, climate, temperature, wind flow all play a factor in keeping steady temperatures). Once you have used the grill a few weeks, you will see how easy it becomes to control and hold temperatures and perfect smoking in a Kamado. If the issue still persists please let us know. Remember the top vent plays a big role in regulating temperatures, and putting out fuel. So until the grill is seasoned, you do not have to fill the fire bowl all the way up, maybe just halfway, a little below the air holes (you can always add more if necessary). Otherwise, it may take longer extinguish heat (may burn too much fuel). Again, you truly know when the grill is ready for low and slow cooks once the top vent and fire bowl gets a lot of flavor build up (creosote).

Additionally, when you are trying to smoke ( low and slow ), are you using the electric starter? If so, don’t. I use the electric starter when grilling, because it heats all the coals at the bottom, at once, to about 300 degrees or more. Once the coals reach that temperature it is hard to bring the temp back down to smoking temperatures. Instead, I use paraffin cubes or you can use any fire starter that you would light in your hand and set on top of the coals. This way you only heat a few coals at once. It may take a little longer for the temperature to get up to 225-250 but once it gets close, close all the vents and it will hold and maintain that temp for a while, if/when it starts to go down you can start to open the vents a little to allow some airflow. If it starts to get even close to 250-275 close all the vents again.

Now if the issue still persists after the above instructions, please see if you have any obvious gaps in the grill (starter door or ash drawer) and send it to us via email so we can fully assess the damages and determine a solution."

We will send a repalcement gasket if an issue comes up in the future that requires a replacement gasket, assuming you are still within the warranty time frame, at that time.

Lastly, for the fire bowl:

Thank you for the photos! The good news is that a crack like this is not an uncommon occurrence with a ceramic grill. As you know, the purpose of the Fire Bowl is to hold fuel (charcoal); if it ever fails to do so, it will be replaced. It is our experience that cracks like this rarely develop into a broken fire bowl. To reiterate, if the Fire Bowl ever cracks in half, we will replace it. Additionally, we encourage you to not remove the Fire Bowl to clean it. Instead, we recommend leaving it in place within the grill when cleaning. An ash rake or shop vac works very well to clean out the ash. If you are looking for an ash rake suggestion, we actually sell this item here: http://www.visiongrills.com/product/ash-pan-and-rake/ . I will keep your photos on file, though, should there be any issues in the future. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

re: thermometer

Mine got a little moisture in it. I was using it and it started to sprinkle. The next day I left the cover off and the sunshine cleared it up. Now when it rains, I cover it with a tuna can. Perfect fit, no more issues. I understand condensation is common. My kettle grill thermometer stayed fogged, but worked fine.

I have had true tell thermometers in the weather for 4 years with no moisture penetration. I know it's not apples to apples but I haven't really had any rain in the last week.

Interesting idea to hold your wok with the brake disc, but I would be worried about all that extra weight on there. I have a feeling that may have contributed to your early crack in the bowl.

I have the same model and  had it since March of this year. I have a crack in mine, but nowhere near as long as yours in such a short time. They will cover it, but it shouldnt be an issue until the firebox completely breaks apart.

20 hours ago, CaptainMusky said:

Interesting idea to hold your wok with the brake disc, but I would be worried about all that extra weight on there. I have a feeling that may have contributed to your early crack in the bowl.

I have the same model and  had it since March of this year. I have a crack in mine, but nowhere near as long as yours in such a short time. They will cover it, but it shouldnt be an issue until the firebox completely breaks apart.

I'd be concerned about off gassing and other noxious metal fumes in my food as well. 

50 minutes ago, RVA Smoker said:

I'd be concerned about off gassing and other noxious metal fumes in my food as well. 

I washed it thoroughly and put it through a cycle in the dishwasher. I wouldn't eat anything cooked directly on it, but I don't think it has the possibility of transferring anything to the wok or cook that would be considered harmful.

yeah. that link pretty much sums up not much. The break rotor is made from mild steel and it definitely isnt coated with zinc. It had a good coat of rust before I went improvising so I am not worried about chemicals. I do get the careful what you eat, but the probability/chance of it making anyone sick is allot less than any of the other parts which were manufactured and shipped from china. 

Again not eating directly off of it, and any residue is long gone after the dishwasher and the first heating.

To further clarify I will be replacing it with another setup as the rotor absorbs too much of the heat and acts as a deflector which is the opposite of what you want with a wok. 

Alright it has been a few weeks and I have had a blast cooking on the grill. I have decided to add a few items which are on my gift registry for the family to peruse.

A charcoal Basket - I have made a makeshift one atm, but would like to have the new one.

The Woo Ring - This will be used to hold the wok and also elevate the cooking grate more to the gasket level and the upper cooking level more into the dome. 

16.5 inch Pizza Stone - I have a 14 inch stone, but I have been cooking 16 inch pizzas and the edges burn. 

I am also interested in a cast iron griddle, but I have yet to pull the trigger. I am also interested in the gas insert for the Pro-S, but I have not done enough research to make that level of investement.