Cooking Roasts (Beef etc)

ECB

Hello

I'm 16 and have been Kamado cooking for about the last half year, but haven't done loads of cooks and am very inexperienced! ;) I've got a couple of points that need clarifying (although they probably have already been discussed somewhere else on this website!) 

Every fortnight I often cook about a 3.2kg beef topside on the Kamado. I'm not sure whether it's just that I purchase really cheap joints, or whether i'm cooking it wrong, but it never really ends up as tender as I wish it to be. The flavour is awesome, but the texture isn't great... Am I right in thinking that rare should still be tender and moist? I often take it off at about 57 - 63 degrees C and then leave it to sit wrapped in foil for at least an hour. 

What am I doing wrong? Also would appreciate any other helpful tips to increase my knowledge of kamado cooking!

First off, Welcome to the Forum. It's really nice to see that you are interested in BBQ at your age. Most of us

don't get immersed in BBQ and cooking till a few years later. Regarding a beef top roast, I had to do a

little research to see where that cut comes from. In the States here, the beef cuts have different terms.

I did find a top round, which seems to be what you are 'Q'ing. Here is a link - see Top Round.

https://www.augustusranch.com/post/beef-cuts-explained

The Round is the butt end of the cow and is further broken down from there.  Rare should be tender and moist

as you stated. However, that cut of meat has some connective tissue and not much marbling. Therefore it

won't be as tender as a rib roast from the rib area. One thought is to cook to an internal temp of 125 Deg. F or

about 51 - 52 Deg C. Let it rest covered so the carry over temp reaches 135 Deg F or 57 Deg C.

(We're not Metric here so I converted the temps. LOL!) Also this roast is usually cut quite thin across the

grain for serving. It is often used for roast beef sandwiches or cubed and slow roasted in stews.

I did find this link with a few suggestions about cooking top roasts and hope it helps.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-top-round-inside-round-995724

Again, Welcome and perhaps a few others with more info will chime in here. Keep us posted on your

efforts.

As mentioned the topside is not the most premium or expensive cut so some connective tissue is expected, but can be nice if you ask your butcher for a piece from the round, the best part of the topside, and you cook it right. Good advice from @K_sqrd, Definitely take it off at 52 Deg C, 54 C max if you don't like it too rare, then cover with foil and rest for 15-20 mins. Works well to cook this joint low and slow for 2 hours at 110 degrees C until joint is about 47C internal, then tent with foil and ramp Kamado up to 250 C and remove foil to give a nice crisp bark, I've done this a few times with this cut and had good results. Happy cooking. 

Good Luck, ECB! 

I too am very interested in roast prices for steakish tastes! 

You have found an invaluable resource for your Kamado exploitations! 

Please consider posting on the kamado guru introduction thread.