Big change

Cavman

So I bought a new pellet grill. I am not going to go in depth to justify my decision other than I felt like it fits my needs better than my Akorn jr at this point. It was also influenced by several people around me with pellet grills. I recently bought a Pit Boss Tailgater pellet grill. I have a few cooks under my belt and am really liking it. I have actually sold my Weber Mini WSM and Akorn jr and am only keeping my Lodge Sportsman Grill for charcoal duty. Kinda figured I was going to be looking for a new forum now as much as I like the people here. Maybe not now that I see all the pellet grill posts. I gotta say I am really impressed with the charbroiler feature in this grilll. Used it on some sirloin cap steaks on a reverse sear Sunday.

20191110_165949.jpg

I bought a pellet grill a year ago. I did this to find out if this was gonna be my go to grill.

It is for some  personal convenience items.

My 2017 KJ Classic always wins for taste. Not just me but the whole family.

To each his own,  as they say but @Cavman, this KG forum is so great. I looked at the other pellet related forums and sub forums. They are mediocre. Hope you  can find a happy medium.

M.

Everyone has different needs and different priorities so it makes sense to me.  I had the exact opposite experience.  I had three...

1.  My convenience grill (Weber Summit - Natural Gas, 4 burner) 

2. My taste grill (Weber Kettle)

3.  My smoker (Traeger XL)

I decided that I wasn’t using #2 and #3 enough so I got rid of them both for a KJ III and it has been the best move for me and the family loves it.  Now I have the gas grill and KJ only.  This works best for us.

The Akorn jr is the best single charcoal grill I have ever owned. I needed a larger grill at this point and it came down to either a full size Akorn or the Pit Boss. For a lengthy boring number of reasons, including lifestyle changes now that I am riding motorcycles again and have an amazing girlfriend, the Pit Boss won out and so far for good reason. I am familiar with pellet mechanics as I heated solely with a pellet stove for 15 years before moving into an rv and wish I had one in here. 

I have been on other forums myself and was dreading finding a new home. I really appreciate the demeanor and passion for cooking here. I see now that is not needed and glad to stick around. 

I am off to Walmart this morning and going to pick up some different flavored pellets. I just bought a big economy bag of Pit Boss Competition blend with the grill. After using it on 3 cooks, I think it will be good for grilling, but I want a heavier smoke for low slow cooks like pork butt and ribs. Pecan was my favorite in the Akorn, I also like Alder, but am also considering Mesquite. I don't care for Hickory, to me it is for Jerky, not dinner. Suggestions are welcome.

Dicks Sporting goods has a good sale on Lumberjack pellets, can get their competition blend or their alder for $8.99 for 20lbs. Might even be able to get it shipped for free. I just picked up 3 bags from my local store (was all they had!).

On 11/15/2019 at 9:50 PM, Cavman said:

So I bought a new pellet grill. I am not going to go in depth to justify my decision other than I felt like it fits my needs better than my Akorn jr at this point. It was also influenced by several people around me with pellet grills. I recently bought a Pit Boss Tailgater pellet grill. I have a few cooks under my belt and am really liking it. I have actually sold my Weber Mini WSM and Akorn jr and am only keeping my Lodge Sportsman Grill for charcoal duty. Kinda figured I was going to be looking for a new forum now as much as I like the people here. Maybe not now that I see all the pellet grill posts. I gotta say I am really impressed with the charbroiler feature in this grilll. Used it on some sirloin cap steaks on a reverse sear Sunday.

20191110_165949.jpg

pellet grilling is where it’s at! 

even kamado joe is getting in on The action 

Decided I don't care for the Pit Boss Competition blend on pork and not to excited about it on beef. Finding the Mesquite much more palatable. Just finished this eye of round with mesquite. Anxious to sample it. It is resting before slicing now.

20191117_194937.jpg