Jump to content

Burntweenie

Weber SmokeFire Pellet Grill (video)

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:

It’s unfortunate but not a surprise with a first time production unit.  Weber has always been good about standing behind their products.

 

We’ll have to see if there will be a recall the units.   With a bold first time design, it’s not shocking there’s problems.

 

They have to make a design change.  Grease is being trapped by the fire pot. 

 

I honestly do not think the problem is that simple.  There is absolutely zero possibility that they could not have uncovered that in any amount of testing they did.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! I was days from ordering this one, but this does not seem like an easy fix. Read from the comments that Weber recommend using Weber pellets only while they figure it out. Weber pellets or not, I can’t leave this unattended which defeats the purpose completely for me. Hopefully it will eventually get fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to everyone doing this testing. I am interested in the Timerline for set and forget cooks, and put off a purchase because it seemed like the Weber would do everything I wanted at a lower cost. Now I am going to keep waiting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John Setzler said:

 

I honestly do not think the problem is that simple.  There is absolutely zero possibility that they could not have uncovered that in any amount of testing they did.

 


Either way, they’re going to have to fix it. BabyBack Maniac posted a new video today.  The problem is the resulted from dust build-up blocking the holes for the grease trap.  

 

Hopefully they’ll come-up with a solution or replacement parts for those impacted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gotzero said:

Thank you to everyone doing this testing. I am interested in the Timerline for set and forget cooks, and put off a purchase because it seemed like the Weber would do everything I wanted at a lower cost. Now I am going to keep waiting. 


The Timberline has double wall steel, better grates, a more advanced super smoking system.  You would never compare the EX 4 to a Timberline.  

 

The Timberline is a different class of Pellet grill all together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charcoal Addict said:


Either way, they’re going to have to fix it. BabyBack Maniac posted a new video today.  The problem is the resulted from dust build-up blocking the holes for the grease trap.  

 

Hopefully they’ll come-up with a solution or replacement parts for those impacted. 

 

I have watched some of justin's stuff.  I think the Weber pellets ARE part of the problem also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charcoal Addict said:


The Timberline has double wall steel, better grates, a more advanced super smoking system.  You would never compare the EX 4 to a Timberline.  

 

The Timberline is a different class of Pellet grill all together.

 

They have different features and pricepoints, but my entire justification for a pellet grill is simple cooks I do not have to watch (along with massive space for entertaining), and in that sense, I view them as two peers that both have issues at launch.

 

I hope Weber works this out, the design in theory would do everything I want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 2:40 PM, John Setzler said:

 

I have watched some of justin's stuff.  I think the Weber pellets ARE part of the problem also.  


It possible they might need to redesign the base with a slope around the grease holes to allow the grease and ash to fall with greater ease.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the blowing ash is another big problem, besides the grease fires. Have you watched any of the cooks posted on youtube? When they show the meat being pulled off, the entire inside of the grill, all the racks and I assume the meat itself, is covered with ash. The outside of the grill and the area it's sitting on are also covered with ash. Just seems like a poor design too me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCux5WwCUWhR-qgBPUl8ZssA

 

This guy isn't having any trouble.  He had a problem once with the pellets feeding.  He removed the guard.  I think he also applied a little silicone to the inside of his pellet hopper.  He has not had any of the issues these other folks have been having.  He's also not using the Weber pellets.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, John Setzler said:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCux5WwCUWhR-qgBPUl8ZssA

 

This guy isn't having any trouble.  He had a problem once with the pellets feeding.  He removed the guard.  I think he also applied a little silicone to the inside of his pellet hopper.  He has not had any of the issues these other folks have been having.  He's also not using the Weber pellets.

 

 

 

I watched this vid 

It seems like a simple fix to what could be a complex problem, so good for him 

I would be curious to see how that silicone spray in the belly of the cooker holds up over a couple of years of solid use 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...