Bavette Steak with Shallots, Garlic, and Thyme

22 minutes ago, KismetKamado said:

I don't ever see that cut here - but would sure like to find one if I could make it look as good as yours!  Nice job!

I found this on Google. You might have that cut there, just under a different name.

"The Bavette steak is a french name for the Flank steak of a cow. Flank is a steak cut that is sourced from the underbelly of the cow, and is generally quite long and flat."

1 hour ago, Golf Griller said:

"The Bavette steak is a french name for the Flank steak of a cow. Flank is a steak cut that is sourced from the underbelly of the cow,"

Ok, the rest of the story:

Couple months back we went to lunch on southside, (not our usual rabbit path). I noticed a butcher shop had opened in the strip shopping center, and decided to check it out. I saw the Bavette, and inquired, thinking the same thing, looks like flank. The butcher said it was similar, but a different cut. I passed as being in a butcher shop, it was way expensive.

So the the challenge came up and a light came on. I did the same thing, looked it up on the interweb. Turns out it is different due to french butchery. During the course of my search, I saw a couple recipes.

I went back to butcher and he had not gotten his delivery, but he did have one Bavette left in the case. I came home with one very expensive piece of meat. 

The butcher recommended getting a good char for texture and taste. I was going for grill marks, but the heat was shooting up from 500 to 600, so I made sure I got a char. Came out really good, and the sauce was good too. Leftovers made a great sandwich.

I have grilled many flank, marinated or not. Good taste but pretty chewy, even when cut correctly (cross grain). I cut this one in half, and then cut across the grain. It had some chew, but in a good way.

I usually stuff and sear (like the "foolin with flank" entry. But I put it in a dutch oven, cover with tomato sauce and braise in the oven. Known as Braciole, it comes out really tender. 

I bought a flank at kroger last week (reduced for quick sale) and put it in the freezer. I will cook it like this one and report back.