1942660383_thaibeefsaladingredients.thumb.jpg.19be2550ebdba882fbd6ad90325dd52f.jpg

This is one of my favourite salads that really delivers far more voomph than the list of ingredients would suggest.

I bought a sous vide machine about a year ago and have only used it twice, always thinking that I would love to do some eye fillets (inspired by @AntinOz, and figured that this was as good a time as any to pull the box out from the bottom of the cupboard.  After biting into that beef which was as soft as butter, the Anova is going to be stored in a more accessible spot going forward.

Easy Thai Beef Salad Ingredients

2 x 250g eye fillet steaks or similar

Oil for cooking steak

150g of mixed lettuce leaves

1 telegraph cucumber

1 carrot sliced into thin strips

½ to 1 red capsicum sliced into thin strips

1 red onion sliced thinly (I omitted due to raw onion allergy)

Salt and pepper

1 bunch coriander leaves, picked

1 bunch mint leaves, torn if large

Toasted sesame seeds

Salad Dressing Ingredients

1 teaspoon peanut oil (I subbed with grapeseed oil because it’s a no flavour oil that I had in the cupboard)

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce

2 teaspoons fish sauce

Method

I started off with seasoning my beautiful steaks with salt and pepper and then vacuum sealing them.  I left them on the counter to come to room temp whilst I got the water up to 54 degrees C / 130 F.

94221951_vaccseal2.thumb.jpg.683e9ce326b4ad19eecb7ca88dda7f55.jpg

They were in the water bath for two hours and when I removed them, I patted them dry using paper towels, which ensures a crust can form.

I heated up the Kamado to 220 degrees C / 430F with the coals banked to the left and the grate in the lower position.  I then put a cast iron fry pan on there to heat up with the lid down.

1242683818_dometemp.thumb.jpg.444594b18a6a58e45b5b263122b9e329.jpg

Whilst I was doing all this, I prepared my veggies and dressing.

Once the pan was hot, I put in a tablespoon or so of oil, swirled it around and cooked the steaks, about 30 seconds on each side.

695751176_oneside.thumb.jpg.79ef9268ae19015a6e428d21e20231ae.jpg

cooked.thumb.jpg.98b479cc23f5d13f2c132fe570cc4443.jpg

The steaks then camped out in a foil tent for about 10 mins.

Holy moly! Slicing through those buttery steaks was a revelation!!

sliced.thumb.jpg.c2a742a8d3ed522d8306d0c21165bee8.jpg

So juicy ... and all evenly dispersed within the meat!!

224387333_closeup.thumb.jpg.553aa0244f8124293640314504c4b7e9.jpg

To assemble the salad, I just layered the lettuce, herbs, topped with the veggies, placed the slices of steak on top, drizzled on the dressing and sprinkled with the sesame seeds.

I made extra salad and doubled the dressing, which hubby and I took to work for lunch today causing lunchbox envy in the workplace. LOL. :-P

lunches.thumb.jpg.1d68655493eb0669252aabecdaa43c0c.jpg

Not sure if the entry counts given the steaks were only finished on the Kamado but I’m cool with it either way because it’s an easy and tasty recipe that I hope you try.:)

On 11/22/2019 at 11:42 AM, Ron5850 said:

I've never used a sous vide. It really looks like it did a wonderful job. That steak looks so tender and juicy. And nice pan sear on the outside of the steak.

Thank you and I was very surprised by the result @Ron5850.  I made sirloin steaks using the same method last night and got similar result.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:17 AM, keeperovdeflame said:

Wonderful cook, I just love Thai Beef salad. Lots of flavor, crunch, and savory goodness while still being a rather light meal in terms of normal steak combinations. 

thank you @keeperovdeflame

On 11/25/2019 at 11:54 AM, TKOBBQ said:

That's a really good looking salad, the sous vide then seared eye of round steaks look perfectly cooked.

thank you @TKOBBQ

Steak salad is one of my favorites too and the salad part helps to justify the steak part!

Great looking meal and thank you for the complete recipe!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By LJS
      Hi Kamado People
      I did my second reverse sear with a 2.5-inch-thick sirloin and the result was great. Applied a good rub/spice and brought internal up to 40C slowly about 40minutes this took and rested, followed by a quick high temp sear, now the taste is superb, and I reckon can’t be beat by the normal grilling method. However, I feel the steak needs to be more tender, comparing tenderness to normal thickness and grill, reverse searing the steak is not as tender as a standard 1inch steak would be grilled over hot coal and grill.
      I will appreciate any tips, tricks or advise on improving tenderness?
      Keep smoking

• By GrillDawg
      Having some guys over on Sunday evening to hang out and I'm wanting to get them all steaks. Would prefer to do some kind of reverse sear.

Since I won't be able to fit them all on the grill, I was thinking put them all in the oven to temp and then sear them. 

Anyone see a flaw in my plan? Any advice on grilling 10-12 steaks on a KJ Classic II?
    • By Lydia
      When I was first looking into getting a Kamado, the guy at BBQ's Galore shop was listing off all the things that a Kamado could do, and the final thing he mentioned was Tandoor. SOLD! Ever since then, I've been wanting to make this dish, and the July challenge was the perfect opportunity.

Tandoori Chicken

The smell of this marinade was incredible.  I will definitely be making this again on a  regular basis. Absolutely delicious!  I don't know what else I'm going to use that massive bag of chilli powder for!! 

1 kg skinless, boneless chicken thighs
      1/2 cup plain yoghurt
      juice of one lime
      1 tablespoon garam Masala
      1/2 tablespoon ginger powder
      1/2 tablespoon kashmiri chilli powder
      1/2 tablespoon methi (fenugreek leaves)
      1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
      4 cloves garlic, minced
      grated fresh ginger, approx 1/2 Tablespoon once grated
      1/2 Tablespoon salt
      1/4 teaspoon red food colouring (optional) - you will notice in the photo of the ingredients, that I bought a packet of this but decided against using it.  When I looked up what food colour 124 was and found out that it's made from synthetic coal tar ,  I chose to leave it out.  Therein is the beauty of making things from scratch - you have the power to choose what goes in and what doesn't. 

Basically, i mixed together all the marinade ingredients, and cut some deep slashes in the thighs so that the marinade could penetrate the chicken, mixed together and refrigerated for a few hours.

by the time the marinading was done, it was pretty dark outside.

I fired her up and the smell emanating from this chicken is something everyone should experience coming from their Kamado at some point in their lives.

The perfect accompaniment for the chicken is  a cucumber and herb yoghurt sauce.

Raita

1 cup plain yoghurt
      1 lebanese cucumber peeled, de-seeded and finely chopped
      1 clove of garlic minced
      juice of half a lime
      a big bunch of mint and coriander finely chopped
      small grating of fresh ginger for a bit of warmth
      salt to taste

this is a pic of the amount of herbs that went in to this tasty sauce.

This was the first time ever that my husband and I ate a whole kg of chicken in one sitting!  LOL ... he said "i just can.not stop eating this". ha haaa

The next time I make this, I will take it to the next level by making my own garam masala spice blend. I can't wait because I'm sure it will be mind-blowing.

Garam Masala Spice Blend recipe by Vijaya Selvaraju

2 tablespoons cumin seeds
      2 tablespoons coriander seeds
      2 teaspoons black pepper corns
      1 star anise
      1/4 of a whole nutmeg
      10 green cardamon pods
      1 stick cinnamon

don't toast the spices. Just whiz them up in a spice grinder and store in fridge or freezer.

The money shot was supposed to include slices of cucumber but I couldn't control myself and started eating this before setting it up properly. ha haaa!!

• By Lydia
      Hello everyone,  here is my effort to challenge myself by deboning a chicken - using the technique of the master, Mister Jacques Pepin!  I could watch that video over and over again and would never bore of it. I can't say that I did it in the two meenoots that he can do it in LOL ... and I must admit that I had a piece of cling-wrap over the screen of my ipad so that I could keep pausing it at each step and rewinding regularly. ha haaa!!

In addition, I couldn't decide on which sauce I wanted to make, so I made two - gravy using the carcass and bones from said chicken along with other ingredients and also a Romesco sauce made from capsicums I roasted in the Kamado too.

Stuffed chicken Galantine

Free-range whole chicken
      Spanish serrano ham
      Spinach - wilted
      Garlic -  a few cloves
      Mushrooms - sauteed (I added these once I saw how piddly amount of stuffing I had once the big bag of spinach wilted down to a very small quantity)
      Young Asiago cheese
      Salt and pepper
      olive oil to rub on skin prior to roasting

Basically, I used the Jacques Pepin method to de-bone the chicken and only messed up one foot because me being me, I took the whole de-boning thing too far and removed that bone but it was all good.

This is what it looked like sans-carcass.

With the tasty stuffing.

Trussed and ready to cook (not as elegant as Jacques - but not bad for a first timer, if I must say so myself )

Romesco Sauce
      4 red capsicums - fire roasted
      6 sun dried tomato halves
      2/3 cup almonds
      big bunch of parsley from the garden
      4 garlic cloves
      6 Tablespoons olive oil
      2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses (or sherry vinegar if you have it - I didn't so also added an extra teaspoon of red wine vinegar)
      2 teaspoons pimenton/smoked paprika

b

Basically, I roasted and cleaned up the capsicums the day before, then cooked off the garlic and nuts in the olive oil until the garlic just started to very lightly colour (to take out the harshness) and then popped all the ingredients, including the oil into the food processor until still slightly chunky. Refrigerated overnight for the flavours to meld.

Gravy

carcass and bones from my de-boned chicken
      1 kg chicken wings
      4 x strips streaky bacon (I had forgotten to take it out of the fridge prior to taking this photo)
      3 x ribs celery
      2 x carrots
      2 x onions
      2 or 3 rosemary sticks
      a couple of bay leaves
      a couple of star anise
      some bunches of tarragon
      a few whole pepper corns
      1.5 litre chicken stock
      flour and butter to make a roux - I just wing this so can't say the quantities sorry.

I roasted all ingredients listed up to and including rosemary in the oven until well cooked and deep in colour / flavour.
      Transferred to a big pot and then deglazed the oven tray of all the delicious bits stuck to the bottom and then poured that into the pot, along with the bay leaves, tarragon and star anise.
      Simmered on low for a couple of hours and gave everything a good moosh (culinary technical term ) with the wooden spoon every now and then to extract maximum flavour.
      Strained and cooled in the fridge for a while.
      I then scooped off a lot of the chicken fat before adding to the roux to make a very flavoursome and delicious gravy. 

My friend and neighbours took their own money shots on their phones when I was plating. They've never had a deboned chicken before and were very impressed when i was "carving" what appeared to them to be a whole chicken.
    • By sylvester hut
      Ingredients
      600 g / 1.2 lb boneless ribeye
      2 tbsp vegetable oil , divided
      1 large onion sliced
      300 g / 10 oz mushrooms , sliced
      40 g / 3 tbsp butter
      2 tbsp flour
      2 cups / 500 ml beef broth low sodium
      1 tbsp Dijon mustard
      150 ml / 2/3 cup sour cream
      Salt and pepper to taste
      Steps
       Step 1
      Use  rolling pin  to flatten the steaks. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Slice into strips.
       Step 2
      Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Spread the strips in the pan with tongs . Sear for 30 seconds on each side.  Quickly remove back onto the plate. Sear the beef in batches if needed.
       Step 3
      Turn heat down to medium high. Add butter, melt. Then add onions, cook for 1 minute, then add mushrooms. Cook mushrooms until golden. Scrape bottom of fry pan to get all the golden bits off. Add flour, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
       Step 4
      Add half the broth while stirring Add the rest of the broth. Stir, then add sour cream and mustard. Stir until combined.
       Step 5
      Simmer for 3-5 minutes, add more salt and pepper to taste.
       Step 6
      Add beef back in. Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from stove immediately.
       Step 7
      Serve over egg noodles.
      Original recipe with pics and nutrition info you can find here: beefstroganoff Enjoy delicious and tasty beef!