Smokingdadbbq

JoeTisserie Ribeye - Steak cook thread for November entry

Here is my cook thread for this months entry. 

I dry brined a large bone in ribeye for 36 hours with kosher salt. 

used hot sauce as a binder and then added some garlic, onion and black pepper before dusting with my homemade umami powder (blended up shiitake and porchini mushrooms)

set up the KJ classic 3 using the basket divider and smoked the ribeye on the JoeTisserie with hickory wood at 275 for about an hour before opening up the vents to get some flame on the surface. 

AAEC124A-F480-4B90-85C0-83764F378E5C.jpeg

558CE207-F1BC-4B2E-B93F-F8A9F5F5E63A.jpeg

6C2F181A-B647-4892-BF3C-A48014DB4D7B.jpeg

Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me want to get a Joe and all the toys!      The hot sauce binder was it like franks or sarachi style? Did it add a level of heat?

18 minutes ago, deck said:

Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes me want to get a Joe and all the toys!      The hot sauce binder was it like franks or sarachi style? Did it add a level of heat?

lol thanks. It was just franks buffalo hot

you can’t taste hot sauce flavour at all but it does add some umami depth that’s hard to place your finger on what your tasting but you know it’s good 

On 11/21/2019 at 8:08 PM, Ron5850 said:

Never thought of putting a steak on my joetisserie. That steak truly looks marvelous. Got to love that joetisserie. 

Thanks... so good 

1 hour ago, KismetKamado said:

You know you've got a nice thick cut steak when you can cook it on a rotisserie.  Looks great!

ya this one was on sale and I had to give it a try 

5 hours ago, TKOBBQ said:

Nice looking steak,. Did spinning it give it a different taste/texture in your opinion?

I really liked it, not sure side by side I would actually taste much of a difference but the crust was really well done.  I thought this would be the worst part and the doneness would be the best part... in reality they traded places and this got a beautiful crust and a little more done than I'd like on the inside... but thats user error for enjoying watching it spin for too long lol 

Looks fantastic. I need to stop looking at these cook threads while I'm eating my puny little lunches. (Or I need to make better lunches. :-D)

The umami powder you mention is very interesting. You just put shiitakes and porchinis in a blender/processor until they're powdered? That's it? Am I the only one who didn't know about this?

55 minutes ago, Brick Pig said:

Looks fantastic. I need to stop looking at these cook threads while I'm eating my puny little lunches. (Or I need to make better lunches. :-D)

The umami powder you mention is very interesting. You just put shiitakes and porchinis in a blender/processor until they're powdered? That's it? Am I the only one who didn't know about this?

I added some garlic and black pepper but yes that’s it