Kamado big joe vent adjustments

Chicago griller

So I just received my big joe but unfortunately I'm waiting for parts as I purchased a demo/return model... I'm used to cooking on my pit barrel cooker and gas grill... so controlling temps using the vents may be a little new to me... i had an old weber kettle that leaked like crazy so it was a nightmare to control temps. any suggestions on getting started??? I understand the basics. Vents closed more, means less oxygen resulting in lower temps and vice versa. Any suggestions though on where to start with my temp controls for bottom and top? 

Yeah. For 225-250 degrees, I keep bottom vent at 1/4 inch open, top vent at the first mark. For 375-400 degrees, bottom vent fully open, top vent at the last mark on the right. Do a practice run without food, get the grill to your desired temp and hold it for 10 to 30 minutes. 

Best bet is to watch some of John's videos of different cooks. He always shows the vent setting he uses. It's really fairly simple, more airflow equals hotter and you should pick it up quickly. It also depends on how large you make the fire at startup, if you are going to do a low and slow cook then you want to start a very small section to begin with.

1 minute ago, retfr8flyr said:

Best bet is to watch some of John's videos of different cooks. He always shows the vent setting he uses. It's really fairly simple, more airflow equals hotter and you should pick it up quickly. It also depends on how large you make the fire at startup, if you are going to do a low and slow cook then you want to start a very small section to begin with.

I agree and my vent settings I mentioned work when you use one fire starter in the center. 

22 minutes ago, Chicago griller said:

All great advice thank you... I'm assuming all this advice is the same regardless of season? Meaning can I do this in the winter months here in chicago? Or will should I start the fire in more than one spot?

Works the same.